General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How hard to swap PCM? ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How hard to swap PCM? ?

I'm tempted to pick up another PCM . I'm wondering how long it takes to switch them as I have a dyno day coming up I'd be curious if one makes more power and where.

Main reason I may do a cam and having a 2nd PCM I can mail it out to frost for a baby cam tune so theres no downtime since it's a dd.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

5 minutes on a bad day.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Cool i think I'm going to swap pcms for 2 dyno pulls see if they differ much
Old 08-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Banned

what do you have...a stock engine? You're gonna put a new PCM in and then have it tuned right? You have to flash some kind of base tune in the new PCM first......

Or are you going to have someone flash a certain custom tune into it, then go from there on the dyno and fine tune that program?

Old 08-06-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

I have tune in my car now it's just bolt ons. It was done by previous owner down in Cali by CMS? If I recall that was what he said. I have never heard of them but then again im in Canada.

The new PCM has a frost tune for a bolt on car as well. I figured since I need a 2nd PCM in case I do a cam in the near future I may as well grab it. And since a friend is hosting a dyno day early sept I figured why not do a PCM tube comparo! Makes it worth dynoing I guess and I'm eager to see if the frost tune will improve drivability etc.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
I have tune in my car now it's just bolt ons. It was done by previous owner down in Cali by CMS? If I recall that was what he said. I have never heard of them but then again im in Canada.

The new PCM has a frost tune for a bolt on car as well. I figured since I need a 2nd PCM in case I do a cam in the near future I may as well grab it. And since a friend is hosting a dyno day early sept I figured why not do a PCM tube comparo! Makes it worth dynoing I guess and I'm eager to see if the frost tune will improve drivability etc.
Why do you need a second PCM if you're getting a cam installed later on......you would just need to get a new tune with that PCM in there to accommodate the new cam....

Old 08-06-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

That's exactly it though. When I do a cam I can mail the spare PCM to frost for the tune for no down time. The ss is my daily driver I can't have it sit while I mail it from Canada and wait 2 weeks for it to come back.

The only competent tuners well known in the Toronto area pump out 1000+ rwhp vettes once a week and they want $600 for a tune :0
Old 08-06-2011, 06:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastyc4

The new PCM has a frost tune for a bolt on car as well......

I don't know what you are buying, but it sounds like it's second hand. The tunes are specific to the year, VIN, trans type, rear gear, and mods made. There isn't just one-tune per year or anything like that, they are different based on mods. Make sure you fully understand what you are doing.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Pretty much to the t my car has the exact mods. Instead if an 80mm tb which does nothing I have 1.82 rrs. Every other bolt on is a match incl year and trans and gearing. I was curious To throw it in and see if I notice any difference. I was actually planning to have it as a spare so If I do a cam I can mail one to you frost because I can't afford downtime.