Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch install;pic of slave cylinders and shim

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Default clutch install;pic of slave cylinders and shim

Just wanna make sure everything is fine before putting the tranny back. The old slave was different; my searches showed that the new unit is different. The round green disk is the old shim, i think..So with Monster clutches they say there is no need to shim at all.. Is that ok to put the slave just like this?
Attached Thumbnails clutch install;pic of slave cylinders and shim-different-slave-cylinders.jpg  
Old 08-06-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

One quick question; is the clutch disc suppose to turn freely after the pressure plate is torqued down? mine is not, but it looks perfectly straight.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
One quick question; is the clutch disc suppose to turn freely after the pressure plate is torqued down? mine is not, but it looks perfectly straight.
The clutch disc should not move at all when the pressure plate is bolted down. That's how it works. The pressure plate is now squeezing the clutch disc against the flywheel and the clutch disc matrial is the glue that holds them together via friction. Then when you push in the clutch pedal, the slave cylinder moves towards the flywheel, pushing down on the fingers of the pressure plate diaphram, moving the pressure plate disc away from the clutch disc, disengaging the clutch disc and allowing it to spin independantly of the flywheel/pressure plate.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 AM
TECH Addict

^^ learn something new everyday

..the shim was behind the old slave...weird shape
Old 08-08-2011, 04:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not use the shim behind the slave, even if it's the same color lol. The difference in the release bearing is just a new design, overall height is the same. Feel free to call us with any questions, thanks again for choosing a Monster. Chris, 817-750-2000

Quick Reply: clutch install;pic of slave cylinders and shim