LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel Tank Venting

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fuel Tank Venting

My fuel pump was getting really noisy a couple of months ago (96 Z-28), so I had it replaced. Since then, I noticed that when removing the gas cap to refuel, I no longer get the "whoosh" from the air entering the tank.

I looked underneath the car, and all of the lines appear to be hooked up, and I replaced the gas cap, to no avail. I disconnected the purge line at the engine, and sent compressed air back through the system (4-5 lbs. of pressure), and the only place the air was exiting, was the "non-connected to anything, vent line" at the EVAP cannister.

I don't get any codes, the car runs well, but I'm concerned that something isn't right, since there is a change in the car's behavior. Anybody have any ideas?

TIA!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you're concerned about the "whoosh" going away? I'd say that noise when the gas caps opened is a bad thing seeing as that vent tube is supposed to keep pressure out of the tank itself? No noise when I go to fill the tank and take the gas cap off.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe, my concern is this...If I understand the evap emmisions system correctly, there's some minimal amount of engine vacuum in the system that draws the vapors from the tank, through the purge canister, and draws them into the engine, where they're burned.

When you shut off the engine, the residual vacuum holds the vapors in the canister. The "whoosh" you should hear is the release of this vacuum. Also, whenever I now shut down the car, I smell fuel vapors. I didn't before, and do now....
Old 08-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Joe, my concern is this...If I understand the evap emmisions system correctly, there's some minimal amount of engine vacuum in the system that draws the vapors from the tank, through the purge canister, and draws them into the engine, where they're burned.

When you shut off the engine, the residual vacuum holds the vapors in the canister. The "whoosh" you should hear is the release of this vacuum. Also, whenever I now shut down the car, I smell fuel vapors. I didn't before, and do now....
Same thing happens to me since i deleted the evap line from the fuel system. I still have a line coming off the fuel tank put it just stops at the rear of the car. I still needed the vent.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Venting