Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

trans am with c5 z06 brakes. which rotors to get

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans am with c5 z06 brakes. which rotors to get

I need new rotors and pads. i have been reading about hawk pads and i will be doing track days in the car. So where to get blanks from and what pads. Im stationed in germany. but my rotors are warped and have heat cracks in them from the guy i bought the car from. i need new ones and quick
Old 08-08-2011, 02:58 AM
Banned

Hawk HPS pads and Brembo blanks
Old 08-08-2011, 03:07 AM
Teching In

the only brembos i can find are cross drilled and slotted
Old 08-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Teching In

any one?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

I have DBA rotors on mine. They came with my C5 rotor swap kit - they are slotted & crossdrilled, but they have held up amazing. DBA may offer blanks as well - I don't know...
Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

If you are going to be doing track days, this is my suggestion, which I learned from first hand.

Have a dedicated rotor and pad for track days, and a seperate rotor/pad combo for the street.

For pads on the street, I run Hawk HPS, and for track days I run HTC-60s.

I did what you did before - and that's run the same pad for street and track, but I think it's a mistake. I ran with the Hawk HP+ and what I found was the HP+ has good bite for agressive street, but didn't have the long term bite for 2 hours on track days. Factor in how much they dust on the street, and I was ready to switch, which I did to HPS for street.

I also run C6 calipers, and Alan Blaine air ducts as well. I spread my LS1 calipers rather easily on the track. The c6s are stronger than C5 calipers, and with the air ducts, I'm hoping to not have any spreading issues. I have yet to run this combo on a track day, however.

Do yourself a favor - get two different sets and change them out the night before a track event. For rotors, go with want you want for looks on the street version, - blanks for the track. Most guys on the vette boards like the Napa Blank Rotors. If you haven't ran HP+s on the street, get ready for dirty wheels.

iWon mentioned HPS pads - I think this is a bad idea if you are going to track the car. Get yourself a track pad....it will make a huge difference.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts

Napa premium blanks, and I have seen several posts by others saying they like them as well.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Awesome thank you yeah I was gonna get a dedicated track set and a street set. What ever is on the car now is crap they dust to much have good bite but no power like they are glazed.
With the c6 brakes do you have to more moding than the c5 brakes or are the tabs the same thing that you cut off.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by barkerracing59
Awesome thank you yeah I was gonna get a dedicated track set and a street set. What ever is on the car now is crap they dust to much have good bite but no power like they are glazed.
With the c6 brakes do you have to more moding than the c5 brakes or are the tabs the same thing that you cut off.
C5 to C6 caliper is a direct bolt-on since you already got the 'track brackets' for the C5 upgrade. Dimensionally, the calipers are the same - the C6 has more ribbing stiffness across the top to aid in spreading prevention. I'm 99.5% sure they use the same pad too.

'the more you know' on NBC
Old 08-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Teching In

wow I would have thought a different pad as they are 6 piston to a two piston so I would have thought a different pad and brackets. Are the rotors also 12 1/2
Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by barkerracing59
wow I would have thought a different pad as they are 6 piston to a two piston so I would have thought a different pad and brackets. Are the rotors also 12 1/2
C6 Z06 = 6 piston
C5 Z06 = 2 piston

Thus, completely different caliper, so yes, different pads as well.

Title of thread says C5. I tried to explain the difference in my first post on this thread.

If you meant C6 Z06, those will not bolt up to a C5/C6 application on an F-body without other mods.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Nah I got c5s but I don't really need the c6 not gonna get them. So hps pads for the street and and the 60's for the track ill run two sets of blanks.

Quick Reply: trans am with c5 z06 brakes. which rotors to get