Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Whine in the rear....

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whine in the rear....

I had my diff and gears replaced last november, just recently it started whining. I jacked the car up put it in 3rd and listened for the whine, its kind of hard to determine when its coming from. It sounds like its louder on the passenger side, would it be ok for me to take off the diff cover and put it in gear to see if I can hear it any better or are there any ways to pin point what my problem is? I just dont want to go through getting a new rear set up if I can fix a small thing
Old 08-08-2011, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

You dont want to put the car in gear with the diff cover off, it will sling gear oil making a big mess.
If Your trying to pinpoint which side the noise is coming from try an empty parking lot, turn one way and hold the car in the corner for a bit, then repeat turning the other direction. One direction will typically be louder than the other. If it is louder while turning left then it is the right side making the noise and vice versa.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Well i tried to determine what side it was coming from, it really didnt make any noise diference when going to one side or the other but when i put it up on jack stands and put it into gear it was definately coming from the passenger side so i went ahead and replaced the axle bearing and the wheel seal. After i got everything back together started it up and put it into gear.... same noise.

I know the mistake I made when i had it apart is I didnt check on the carrier bearings but they were all replaced back in november when i had the rear done, or so I know, it was done at a shop. I guess I will take it back apart tomorrow evening and check them, but how would I know if one of the bearings are bad, is it visable?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

So I drove the car to work today to see if i could make any determinations on sound differences between turning and speed. From about 5 till 60 mph it whines but over 60 you really cant hear it. There is no difference between turning left and right while under speeds, sound remains the same through all the gears minus the change in sound through out the mph range. When I pull out the diff the only thing that I need to ensure remain the same are the shims per side correct? I dont know much about the rears but want to ensure that I dont mess up the backlash
Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would apply a little gear contact grease to the gears and check the pattern. Are the gears wearing funny or anything? Check the backlash with a dial indicator too. I had a set of 4.10's that literally ate themselves due to poor pinion depth and gear setup. My whine went from quiet to so loud you couldn't think.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried going back to the shop that did the work in November. All the other bearings in the rear and gear set up are their responsibility, they should stand behind their workmanship.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

yeah I took it back to the shop last night after I got off work and explained what was going on. Im taking it back tomorrow morning, they said they are going to pull it apart and check and fix whatever free of charge. I just hope that the first time it was done they had the pinion depth correct and didnt ruin my gears.