Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Functional Ram Air Hood....Nova

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Functional Ram Air Hood....Nova

looking at the New Camaro with the Ram air that is non functional got me thinking of my favorite car ever. 02 Trans am WS6. The functional ram air on that car was amazing.

So im thinking of cutting out a slot in the front of the hood on my Nova that would look very similar to the slot on the New Camaro. I can build an airbox in front of the TB to hold a Flat air filter with a large rubber gasket around it and on the hood frame it out on the inside to match up so its a functional ram air.

Any Thoughts?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I like the idea in concept, but I don't think there's much room between the top of the radiator support and the hood, so you may be limited for routing the ducting if you want to go to the very front of the hood.

Got any Paint, Photoshop or napkin sketches of what you have in mind?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

I dont have any sketches yet, i had this idea months ago but scratched it when i considered a turbo.

But now im thinking about it again. The top of the hood would become part of the duct because of clearance. i would build the duct into the hood with sheet metal. I will have to measure how much clearance there is between the rad support and the top of the hood, if there is 2" or more i should be fine.

Only problem is that the hood latch is right where the duct needs to me, so i was thinking of buying another hood latch assem. and using both, one on either side of the duct. so id have 2 hood latches but i could mod the lever and only have the single lever in the middle.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two ducts one on each side of the latch or you could do it like me (still need to make a box around the filter so it can build pressure from the front hole, the hole in the back of the scoop is to let hot air out):

Last edited by jetback73nova; 08-08-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey.. sounds like a great project . .its creative thinking and drive that keep Hot Rodding alive.. Once you get it working, we can put it next to my Chevelle's, Fully Functional - Cowl Induction Hood ! (both Vacuum and electrical flap's too)

I think hood to Radiator support clearance will be tight..if you can put some of it into the hood, that might get you some room.

Going to take some creative thinking on the Duel hood latch.. might just do away with it and just juse hood pin's. maybe even work with a Glass hood.?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bczee
Hey.. sounds like a great project . .its creative thinking and drive that keep Hot Rodding alive.. Once you get it working, we can put it next to my Chevelle's, Fully Functional - Cowl Induction Hood ! (both Vacuum and electrical flap's too)

I think hood to Radiator support clearance will be tight..if you can put some of it into the hood, that might get you some room.

Going to take some creative thinking on the Duel hood latch.. might just do away with it and just juse hood pin's. maybe even work with a Glass hood.?
That is some custom work there. looks nice.

Id like to keep the stock hood without pins if possible. Pins look really good on the Chevelles.

Once i get some things buttoned up im going to take it to the shop and see how possible it is.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jetback73nova
two ducts one on each side of the latch or you could do it like me (still need to make a box around the filter so it can build pressure from the front hole, the hole in the back of the scoop is to let hot air out):

Love the Mad Max machine, ive been considering either flat black or satin black for mine.

Quick Reply: Functional Ram Air Hood....Nova