LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cut out help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut out help.

Gonna bolt up the flowmaster cat back for around town as my dd. But want a cut out now for the fun. Best bang for my buck. Is the electric cut outs hard to install? Never seen a write up on it.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Basically your going to want to find which brand you want first (QTP, DMH etc..) Get the flange welded.. varies on different years and setups. Bolt on the electronic cut out and wire through drain grommets located under the car (black circular rubber plugs), then under the carpet and through the center console and u can get power from the cigarette lighter or console light. All can be done yourself except the cutting and welding of the flange.. unless you have a plasma cutter and welder. Overall its pretty easy, i have personally done about 7-8 of these installs. shouldn't take more than a day or two.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by food nd cars
Basically your going to want to find which brand you want first (QTP, DMH etc..) Get the flange welded.. varies on different years and setups. Bolt on the electronic cut out and wire through drain grommets located under the car (black circular rubber plugs), then under the carpet and through the center console and u can get power from the cigarette lighter or console light. All can be done yourself except the cutting and welding of the flange.. unless you have a plasma cutter and welder. Overall its pretty easy, i have personally done about 7-8 of these installs. shouldn't take more than a day or two.
Alright, alittle lost lol. i'm running hooker headers right now and going to put up the ORY & cat back soon. What about the non electric for like $75? Are they just a weld up and un bolt the cap when i want them open?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you don't plan on using it a lot or spontaneously using it, just get a manual one. You get them welded in and you unbolt the cap when you want to open up the exhaust. I think a manual cut-out can be purchased for under $40.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the QTP cutouts
Old 08-09-2011, 05:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dealt with the hassle of a manual (wingnut'd) cutout for 4 years, until I got a QTP. NEVER will I ever go with the manual again. Out of all the money I have spent, it ranks up there as one of my favorite additions. Run the manual for awhile, see how you like it. Then get an electric. Then thank me later.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks everyone, it would be just for fun every now and then. Only thing is i don't trust myself hooking up the electric part of it might start with the manual.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ seriously man??!? How hard it to run wire , use zip ties and install a switch?? That's like as basic as skills come.. I call BS
Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

How do i power it though? i'm not kidding, there's no AAA in there is it?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's incredibly easy, especially since they include a switch for you. All you have to do is run a wire to your cigarette lighter behind the dash (orange wire) and a ground and you're done. Heck if you're still nervous about it drive that turd down here and I'll hook it up for you.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by food nd cars
So this is the agreed upon method? I have to take up my carpet or no?

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
It's incredibly easy, especially since they include a switch for you. All you have to do is run a wire to your cigarette lighter behind the dash (orange wire) and a ground and you're done. Heck if you're still nervous about it drive that turd down here and I'll hook it up for you.
^^^ Might have to
Old 08-09-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I have pretty much the same exhaust your describing.

JetHot long tubes, Offroad y pipe, Flowbastard cat back. I am running the cheapest 3" cut out i could find on summit/jegs. Manual.

I am a fan of the manual over the electric...BUT....

The way everything bolts up under the car, catback on stock y pipe, vs the long tubes and y pipe...puts the cutout location in a VERY weird spot. If it is Aiming towards the passenger side, youll screw yourself for ground clearance. Im stock height and ive rubbed befor. If you spin it to the drivers side i think there would be more room, however the manual cut out then becomes a very tedious job since you cant see it.

Mine seems to free up tons of power open compared to the pos flowmaster exhaust, but thats the price you pay for a tolerable street toned exhaust.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

I guess it'd be more clear if i put my car back on a lift but it would be right after the collectors on the Y pipe i cut and place both of them? right?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Unless you want it to be obnoxiously loud just use a single before the intermediate pipe dumps over the rear axle. You'll see there's actually a well (and a grommet for the wire) that makes it look like a cutout is supposed to be there; it tucks up nicely. That's where I have mine placed.

Regardless you're likely going to have to do some welding.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

^ thats where i put mine. with the hooker y pipe it makes things interesting, my ground clearance is literally down to 2 inches or so and im stock 130k mile suspension. Lowering springs it wouldnt work to well. I also gave it room for play so its not rattling on the floorboard.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Unless you want it to be obnoxiously loud just use a single before the intermediate pipe dumps over the rear axle. You'll see there's actually a well (and a grommet for the wire) that makes it look like a cutout is supposed to be there; it tucks up nicely. That's where I have mine placed.

Regardless you're likely going to have to do some welding.
I want stupid loud But welding isn't a problem just got to make sure it'll fit right. I'm thinking these http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...touts-pair--2/
will go nicely right after the headers on each side of the ORY. Now for them ^^^ i would just need to cut my ORY (not all the way) and weld them up to it?

Where these http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...l-e-cutouts-1/
I would need to cut up the ORY and weld them in? I'm not sure the ORY is even straight enough anywhere to fit those in.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

I bought the $2x.xx manual cutout from summit, then looked in the classifieds and got a QTP electric cutout for $70. Best deal i have found yet.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Just to let everyone know i did it!!!! Got my buddy to weld it up so that what good. I ran the wiring and zip tied everything down. I ran the wire to my power seat wiring and it was easyyyyyy. Bad *** now!
Old 08-25-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats, told u it was a no brainer..
Old 08-25-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

E cutout is probably one of my most favorite/fun mods, especially with a cam.

Quick Reply: Cut out help.