General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

*URGENT* Clutch/Hydraulics issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *URGENT* Clutch/Hydraulics issue

Hey guys i hope you can help me out here...

98 Z28 M6 will NOT go in gear. clutch feel is dead (1 inch of travel as apposed to usual 5-6), and i hit a speedbump HARD yesterday (lowered on Stranos) and it actually stalled the car and ALL of my instrument panel lights came on. started back up and drove about 10 miles and noticed the clutch pedal had about 4 inches of travel. stayed that way the rest of my 60 mile commute.
this morning, i couldnt even back out of my driveway.

i fear i banged the slave cylinder on the speed bump and leaked all my fluid out.

sound right?
i havent had a chance to get it up on a jack to look. i will tonight, but if you all thing thats what happened or if you could think of anything else, please let me know. im in the navy and CAN NOT miss work.

and worst case scenario, do you all think i could just change the slave cylinder? thats if i didnt crack the trans or break the fork pivot bolt or something...

thanks in advance.

*edit
okay after looking up prices on a new slave cylinder, i realize its not external like im used to on nissans.
so maybe its a bent/cracked fitting?

Last edited by BowTieDrifter; 08-09-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: its not a nissan durrrr
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am assuming you have checked the fluid level?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

checked it this morning. there was some in the black rubber boot inside the resiviour, but i didnt see how much was inside.
if its low or gone, it had to go somewhere...
didnt see any puddles or smell anything.
gotta get her up on a jack/stands to see whats going on tonight.

i guess right now my question is, bottoming out on a speed bump, passenger side, what damage could have been done to the clutch hydraulics?

thanks

*EDIT*
okay, got home and got it up in the air. looked underneath for almost 2 hours until i decided to just hop in, start it, and see how the pedal felt again. reached down and grabbed it, gave it a tug and it came right up. works fine now.
i think the master cylinder rod just got "stuck" in the plastic sleeve where it goes through the firewall. its got grease on it, but for some reason it just didnt pop back up. im keeping an eye on it, but for now im calling it "fixed".

mods, lock, delete, etc.

thanks

Last edited by BowTieDrifter; 08-10-2011 at 08:34 AM.