I need advice from people that have bought cars that were shipped to them.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need advice from people that have bought cars that were shipped to them.

I'm buying a car from Illinois. Ill overnight a cashiers check to them tomorrow. How did you guys handle the paperwork to make sure everything was legit/there was a paper trail. Also, are there any shipping companies you recommend or would stay away from.

Any help is appreciated!!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Subscribing to this thread. I'm selling my 98 Cobra with a full Terminator swap. I've been asked about shipping a couple of times and have no experience with it. I'd like to get some more info on it as well.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Launching!

I saw an auto transport carrier truck yesterday, the name of the company was Horseless Carriage and they were out of New Jersey (but I'm sure they run nationwide). It was an enclosed trailer and it looked like they mainly transport a lot of high end cars. I'm sure they deal with situations like yours a lot, and could probably answer a lot of your questions and give you a shipping quote as well
Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this is how we did the last car. I sent a bank to bank wire. First draw up a bill of sale. Get as detailed as you can. Also have the seller photo copy their DL onto the contract. Have them sign it and send it to you via fax or scanned copy. At least there is SOME paper. Send the wire transfer or payment. Have them OVERNIGHT the title and title transfer form. It's worth the extra $30. That title means A LOT! Setup the shipping company to get the car. Do NOT USE CAPITOL AUTO TRANSPORT or a company with a similar name. They operate under a few different names and they are all Capitol Auto "something". Their quote NEVER ends up being the actual amount.

Shipping companies are almost NEVER the actual shippers. They are just brokers who bid out the cars for movement. Go with a company that has a good rating. Google "Auto shipper reviews" and look for 5 star ratings.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

You can get quotes from about 25 companies in a matter of hours. They require your email and phone number so be prepared to get lots of calls. lol
Old 08-09-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Donohue, have you or has someone inspected the vehicle for you? That would be my biggest concern. Allow me to explain. I purchased my 2001 Ws6 from Las Vegas a few years back. I saw many many pictures, Im talking over 100. And of course I ran a car fax to make sure everything checked out. The shipping went through great with no issues, enclosed trailer and ran about 800 bucks or so. Open trailer runs about 500. Anyway, about 2-3 months after I had the vehicle I went to get an alignment done. Turns out the vehicle had been wrecked, had frame damage, replaced front bumper, and one of the rear wheels had spacers on it to make it appear that the offset of the 2 rear wheels were the same. Talk about being pissed. One of the best days of my life is when I sold the vehicle and no longer had to deal with the lemon. Just my advice for what its worth.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Teching In

I did something very similar to what blacklt1z described when I bought my bike from a guy in Ohio. Like he said you can find a load of auto transporters online in no time at all. You will find ghat some will take longer than others to get from point a to b. It just depends on their route an schedule. Just do some research, I can't remember the name of the company I used but they were quite quick and had the bike loaded on a pallet and made sure no keys or anything were shipped with te bike, just that the column was unlocked. That way everyone knew nobody was or would start it up or get some ***** and try to ride it.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Charlie...

I haven't had anyone inspect it, but he's a mod on here with good feedback. Have seen him posting for years and believe he's trustworthy.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I used a company called Direct Express Auto Transport (broker). The trucking company who actually delivered the car was K&T Logistics out of Houston. Open Transport from Maryland to my driveway was $875. The car arrived in good shape. It was a little dirty from the long trip, but 45 minutes later it was squeaky clean again.

I used my credit union for the transaction, so they were responsible for all of the legal crap.

Last edited by -Ross-; 08-11-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

what kind of car are you getting? pics?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

+1 for reliable auto carriers.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

I used this company with an enclosed trailer and it cost me about $1 a mile. My car car was the cheapest in the trailer lol. They even drove into the driveway. I had good experience with them. Good contact anytime I called.

http://www.nationaltransportllc.com/...rt-florida.php
Old 08-11-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z
Well this is how we did the last car. I sent a bank to bank wire. First draw up a bill of sale. Get as detailed as you can. Also have the seller photo copy their DL onto the contract. Have them sign it and send it to you via fax or scanned copy. At least there is SOME paper. Send the wire transfer or payment. Have them OVERNIGHT the title and title transfer form. It's worth the extra $30. That title means A LOT! Setup the shipping company to get the car. Do NOT USE CAPITOL AUTO TRANSPORT or a company with a similar name. They operate under a few different names and they are all Capitol Auto "something". Their quote NEVER ends up being the actual amount.

Shipping companies are almost NEVER the actual shippers. They are just brokers who bid out the cars for movement. Go with a company that has a good rating. Google "Auto shipper reviews" and look for 5 star ratings.
^^^ this ^^^

Another thing you can do is just call a dealership and ask them to give you a name and number to the transport that they use.. I shipped my car from Colorado to Tx doing this! It cost me about $475.00 but I ended up saving thousands because the price of the car was so good compaired to local cars...
Old 08-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use yourway auto transport based out of Cleveland. Have used about 10-12 times. They are picking up our 73 caprice tomorrow in Katy to ship to OH. Prices are good- this is the actual driver. I kept their contact info after going through a broker.

They did bump the front of my 95 Firehawk when we shipped it and sent a check to cover the expenses based off of an estimate. I have had shippers run from damage before but these guys stood up and took care of it right away.

PM me if you want contact info.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
Charlie...

I haven't had anyone inspect it, but he's a mod on here with good feedback. Have seen him posting for years and believe he's trustworthy.
Don't let that fool you. I've been there.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Would get a PPI done or at the very least, have a member go check the car out for you.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am attempting to buy a car out of Iowa, I posted in the midwest section to see if anyone was close to cedar rapids that could go check it out. It's only about a 13 hour trip one way, I think I'll try to find someone who has a truck and trailer, pay for the gas and give them some money for their time. any takers?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by YellowTA1
I am attempting to buy a car out of Iowa, I posted in the midwest section to see if anyone was close to cedar rapids that could go check it out. It's only about a 13 hour trip one way, I think I'll try to find someone who has a truck and trailer, pay for the gas and give them some money for their time. any takers?
Sure how much are you paying lol
Old 08-12-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
Sure how much are you paying lol
If you're game Sean, let me know.