Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Carbon Fiber hood questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber hood questions

I have been looking at hoods and after going to the shop where a new z06 was being worked on with a carbon fiber hood, this has caught my eye. Does anyone currently have or previously had a carbon fiber hood? I'm looking for some things I should look out for, or if there is anything that says stay away from this idea. After seeing the Z06, I have been thinking of adding some carbon fiber externally to the car and this was my idea to tie the hood to some other pieces together. If I go with an SS style, I would paint the hood, leaving just the scoop as raw CF. I also saw a lot of people with CF hoods having hood pins. Is this something they did for looks or is it necessary due to light weight part. Any opinions or experience are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Hood pins are for easier access if u have the hood latch disengaged usually for real race cars but Ricers use it for looks.
Now one and only suggestion I'm going to give is
Use a good clear on any carbon fiber parts
Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

^ There's a reason the ZR1 has $14k/qt clear coat for the roof.

I saw a car when I was out in vegas with a c/f hood that was getting oretty haggard looking and my immediate knee jerk reaction was "Haha! you stupid ricer....." Then I thought... "Wait.. That sucks that the sun fuked that hood up already. Must not have been cheap.. " Almost felt bad for him/her... But then again, what quality of clearcoat did they use???

Look for a really strong UV blocking clear coat, if there is such a thing.. Don't get any Vato-Zone clear either. Maybe PPG?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

Thank you both. The paint will be done by the dealership that my engine guy is the manager of, so I'm sure they can get really good clear coat. Any hood brands I should stay away from, or go with?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone else with some guidance?

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber hood questions