New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post Long tube Install

Old 08-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Post Long tube Install

Ok so I have a 1998 Trans am a4...only mod is slp lid. I recently purchased pacesetter long tubes and 3 inch ory with a 4inch hollow pipe and turn down.

After I got them installed the mechanic didn't connect any of the o2 sensors and my car was running like crap. (Bogging out, misfire, just running overall really bad).

The next thing I did was order o2 extentions hoping if i connect the front ones the car will run better. It got a little better with the o2 sensors but was still running shitty.

The next thing I did was get the rear o2 sensor plugs that were hanging tuned out and my flow master cat back that came with the car put back on thinking it would run normal and smooth. Well its been 15 miles since the tune and the car is still not running correct it feels like i lost power?

It doesnt misfire or bog out anymore but it just doest pick up the same when I gun it. It feels like my care was faster with stock exhaust and ran way smoother.

Can it be that I need to wait a certain miles after the tune or do I need spark plugs and wires or is it the y pipe banging on something..PLease help me out!!
Old 08-09-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

It probably isn't anything major, I wouldn't think. Is the SES light on? (Throwing any codes?) Did you check to make sure that none of the plug wires are touching the headers? How good is the tuner that you took it to?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could b the y pipe hitting letting the ECU think the motors knocking and triggering the Knock Sensors !The Car should feel a lot faster w/ headers w/ no Doubt !
Old 08-09-2011, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Had a similar issue when I did my LTs a few years ago. I cracked the porcelain on one of my spark plugs. Check your plugs again to make sure you didn't damage any.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

The installer took off some of my plugs to have more room when installing the headers, there is a good chance they did not reconnect them if they forgot the O2 sensors.

+2 on SES light, get it scanned to be safe even if the light is not on.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice everyone...Yea i'm going to get it scanned again. The SES light is still on. I have a feeling its the spark plugs and wires a friend told me to change them ASAP because of the extra heat? But other than that everything else looks fine nothing is touching and the person who tuned it has a good reputation and tunes a lot of cars in our area.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WSUHottBOI
Thanks for the advice everyone...Yea i'm going to get it scanned again. The SES light is still on. I have a feeling its the spark plugs and wires a friend told me to change them ASAP because of the extra heat? But other than that everything else looks fine nothing is touching and the person who tuned it has a good reputation and tunes a lot of cars in our area.
Then I would almost bet that it's 02 sensor related.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That turndown can't be helping...
Old 08-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so I just got it scanned again and this time the code that came up was P0405 for EGR sensor A...Is that why my car is running bad?..and what can I do to fix it? Was the guy who did my tune suppose to Tune that out?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Yes he should have tuned it out for u and it will make the car run like **** .
Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Exclamation

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
Yes he should have tuned it out for u and it will make the car run like **** .
I went back and got it tuned out and the car was running perfect until I came home and it turned on again..I turned my car off and parked it and the next day when I was going to drive it I noticed it was off and the car was running perfect again until like 5 miles in and it happened when I was at High RPM..it started flashing and the light came on again...The guy who tuned my car said I need new spark plug and wires? Can bad spark plugs and wires be causing the SES light to flash? or is it bad o2 sensors? or Maybe a exhaust leak because I definitely have a exhaust leak near the end of the y pipe...
Old 08-11-2011, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

If your SES light is flashing, do not drive your car. More than likely its a bad plug(s) and/or wire(s).
I had this happen to me, but the car felt like it was misfiring. I knew for sure it was a plug. Sure enough there was a crack in the porcelain on the number 3. Threw in a new plug and everything was gravy. Just make sure when throwing in the new plugs that you are careful. When connecting the wires throw some dielectric grease in the wire and connect it to the plug. The wire should click once on the plug and TWO clicks on the coil. I find it easier to get the #8 from the bottom of the car. Good luck man
Old 08-11-2011, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I recently purchased pacesetter long tubes and 3 inch ory with a 4inch hollow pipe and turn down.
Aside from sounding bad that is going to be loud enough even once you get the car fixed it will give the impression of being slower than stock exhaust.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RaVagE
If your SES light is flashing, do not drive your car. More than likely its a bad plug(s) and/or wire(s).
I had this happen to me, but the car felt like it was misfiring. I knew for sure it was a plug. Sure enough there was a crack in the porcelain on the number 3. Threw in a new plug and everything was gravy. Just make sure when throwing in the new plugs that you are careful. When connecting the wires throw some dielectric grease in the wire and connect it to the plug. The wire should click once on the plug and TWO clicks on the coil. I find it easier to get the #8 from the bottom of the car. Good luck man
Yep thats exactly what is wrong with mines I got a misfire also..new spark plugs and wires going in ASAP..Thanks for the help man..
Old 08-11-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea, bro, a little backpressure sure would help. Just a bullet muffler turned down off the Y pipe would be better than that
Old 08-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Aside from sounding bad that is going to be loud enough even once you get the car fixed it will give the impression of being slower than stock exhaust.
Im getting the TSP rumbler cat back soon and getting rid of that hollow pipe and turn down it came with my LTs and ORY so I thought I might as well try it...
Old 08-11-2011, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Yep thats exactly what is wrong with mines I got a misfire also..new spark plugs and wires going in ASAP..Thanks for the help man..
No worries man. It's the worst feeling to have, thats for sure.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Xtreme864
Yea, bro, a little backpressure sure would help. Just a bullet muffler turned down off the Y pipe would be better than that
Yea ima just go with the TSP rumbler cat back for now..I miss the look of having tips on the back..Getn me some 4'' dual Tips..Anyone know a good spot to buy them?? I tried ebay eworldsales but he said its gunna take a month...
Old 08-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Make sure all your plug wires are tight too, I was driving around one day and it started to misfire and the ses light started blinking. The number 8 plug wire was loose, fixed that and never had a problem since.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

ALWAYS plugs and wires after a header install...if not climb under the car and look for a melted O2 sensor wire on the header.

Search this Thread