Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help fix my c5 frc with a vortech

Old 08-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help fix my c5 frc with a vortech

Hi I have a 99 c5 frc that the power is down quite a bit on. Mod wise it has the vortech v-2 supercharger and this is the old setup that is on the drivers side. It also has 243 heads, a z06 cam, LT headers, x pipe, z06 exhaust, fast intake, and a light weight flywheel. Car drives great still. Sometimes acts a bit funny when I first start it up and will die sometimes but after its running its fine. The only time I have a problem is when I push it into boost. It seems to be down quite a bit on power and I hear something thats kinda hard to explain almost like its missing or sputtering in high rpms. I dont know if I have a boost leak as Im trying to find a good boost gauge for it. I was told it had a boost gauge I can see a spot on the brake booster line that has 3 brass fittings. One of those it blocked off and Im guessing thats where the boost gauge was. What all do I need to be able to figure out what is going on with it. Ive read around on here and I am a bit confused on where to start. Thanks! Oh it also has a MSD fuel pump booster on it.

Last edited by douwannarace; 08-09-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

ok I will pull one and see if I can read it to see if it look like its been running lean or rich. Something strange just happened I went to crank my car just now and it just spins over. Out of a strange hunch I turned the key to the run position and pressed the test port in the fuel line and there was no pressure not a drop of gas came out. Im not too sure on the corvettes but you have fuel pressure when the key is in the run position right?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Try turning the key to on an listen for fuel pump? Idk ifs same as fbodys
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

I turned the key a few times on it just now and silence. Do the fuel pump boosters supply all the power to the fuel pump. I guess I should try to make sure it is working right. It says MSD fuel pump booster 15psi on it. Im trying to check that out too. Does anyone know if your fuel pump goes out if it can cause you to have less fuel pressure right before it goes out or do they just go out?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

ok fixed the car wont crank problem. I just check all fuses and hit the relay with the top of a screwdriver and bam I heard the fuel pump kick on when I turned the key and it fired right up. Now Im back to my orginal problem what can I do to figure out why I have a lack of power. Anything good I can buy to help. Also I have been listening to a few clips of what detonation sounds like and that might be the sound I was hearing to start with. Im pretty sure my car had a great tune on it. Is it possible to loose a tune? Ive had a few problems with wiring on this car. But I dont know what Im trying to hear really. Im scared to get it into boost again.

Last edited by douwannarace; 08-09-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

that sounds good I just pulled a spark plug. Im not the best at reading plugs. I checked the gap on it and it's about .035 which is a bit too much. The guy that orginally had the car said it dynoed 575whp. A few people have had the car since then and Im guessing that it is way too much of a gap and could be blowing out my spark. Any input on that?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put some tr6 plugs in it and .030, get a boost gauge, get a wide band, and a fuel pressure gauge. More then likely those will fix the problem or tell you what you need to know.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

oh I have a boost gauge on order at the moment I was wondering my car says pull key and wait 10 secs when I first crank it up alot of times. What can cause this? Could it have anything to do with the tune on the car or some reason why it could be running bad?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by douwannarace
ok fixed the car wont crank problem. I just check all fuses and hit the relay with the top of a screwdriver and bam I heard the fuel pump kick on when I turned the key and it fired right up. Now Im back to my orginal problem what can I do to figure out why I have a lack of power. Anything good I can buy to help. Also I have been listening to a few clips of what detonation sounds like and that might be the sound I was hearing to start with. Im pretty sure my car had a great tune on it. Is it possible to loose a tune? Ive had a few problems with wiring on this car. But I dont know what Im trying to hear really. Im scared to get it into boost again.
I would get a new relay ASAP. I have heard of this causing blown engines in FI cars, cutting out the fuel @ WOT= BAD...
Old 10-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

ok I havent had a chance in a while to look at my car. I got a boost gauge and it seems the car is not making any boost. I spent a day of watching football and working on the car at the same time and I cant seem to find a vacuum leak anywhere. Is there any other reasons the car isnt making boost at all?

Oh and after day of taking most of the intake pipes I was riding down the interstate and downshifted into 3rd gear. The car would buck 2 times back to back and then ride smooth for about 2 seconds and do it again. This would happen over and over and this was with me just staying at the same speed not trying to accelerate just cruising. I was at about 4000rpm just about where the boost should start to come on pretty strong.

Could this be from lack of fuel, or spark going out, or maybe even the crank pulley spinning? Maybe I am on the wrong track. It has a boost a pump on it. Any help?

Last edited by douwannarace; 10-06-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

this is kinda an old thread but Im still cant get any boost out of this car. Im at the point to drop the steering column to see if the crank is pinned. Besides that is there anything else that it could be. I even ordered a kit with new bearings and seals rebuilt it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help fix my c5 frc with a vortech