Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about changing pushrods…

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about changing pushrods…

Hey guys. I am about to start changing my pushrods out for some harder ones before I slap the nitrous on and am wondering a few things first. I have heard a couple conflicting ways to doing this. One way involves rotating the engine for each rocker arm before tightening and the others just say to simply pull the rockers, swap the rods and just put the rockers back on. If I am not mistaken, I can do it the second way as long as I’m not swapping the valve springs but I thought I would ask the experts first…
Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

I THINK you do have to rotate it as you do it so that you can relieve pressure from the spring before removing the rocker. Never done them on the car always once the heads were off.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't worry about turning the motor over just make sure you torque the rocker bolts to spec(22ft) and you should be fine.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Restricted User

There are several different ways to do it but you need to torque them down when the lifter is on base circle of the cam. You can use an easy method called the eoic method. You wait tell the exhaust valve on that cylinder just starts to open and you can adjust the intake valve on that cylinder. Turn the motor over tell the intake valve is just about closed and you can torque the nut on the exhaust valve on that cylinder. Or you can follow the gm service guide and you can adjust the valves while only turning it over a cuple times
Old 08-10-2011, 04:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Or you can follow GM's procedure: