Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

mgw

Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mgw

mgw is awesome. Just instAlled a mgw shifted with short stick and a gripper ***. Feels awesome!!! Like driving a completely different car. The feedback it gives is incredible
Old 08-10-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

I have heard really good things about MGW shifters. I have a Kirban shifter in my FRC and it seems really "notchy" when shifting so I have been toying with the idea of replacing it with a MGW. How smooth is it when you shift?
Old 08-11-2011, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

I like the "notchy" feel. Feels short, crisp, and racey. It also lets you know you are in gear. IDK why people complain about it. Keep the stock stuff if you don't like it.

That is my rant, but if you want a nice shorter shifter that doesn't feel notchy get a RSD Snapshifter. Its a modded c6 z06 shifter that is short throw and doesn't have the supposed "notchy" feel.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mgw is the best shifter period, i agree i never did mind a notchy feel ,
Old 08-11-2011, 03:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't say that the MGW is the best shifter of them all. It just depends on what you're going for. The MGW is hands down the best shifter for drag racing, but it's awful for road racing. It's simply too short for road racing. Whereas the RSD Snap Shifter or a stock 09+ Z06 shifter is far better for road racing.

What's the difference, you may ask?

Well, in a nut-shell, when drag racing you want the closest and fastest shift possible. During a drag race you only shift up, never worrying about shifting down. You also don't rev-match for drag racing, and in fact you'll usually power shift (no-lift shift) and therefore the fastest shift possible is required.

However, in road racing you want some time between shifts to rev-match. As well, you'll need to know what gear you're in at any time just by the feel of the shifter (something you get very little feed back for with a very short shifter such as the MGW). Also, with the MGW's stiffer springs and shorter gate feel, you have a slightly harder time finding the gears when down shifting than you would with an RSD Snap or Z06 shifter.

Now, the reality is that the RSD Snap shifters and the MGW shifters are the best shifters for the C5s. Both are great on the street and both perform well. It's just a matter of what kind of performance driving you do. That's all.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Launching!

It takes some getting used to but you can rev-match easy with the MGW.

I have a gripper shift **** for sale if anyone wants it. The race **** doesn't have a metal top that burns your hand after sitting in the sun.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Mine is way to stiff, my wife can hardly get it in 5th and 6th and it never really feels like it goes in reverse. I've tinkered around with it, adjusting it the little bit you can.... It does have a short throw and it is a nicely made piece.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quicksilverZ
Mine is way to stiff, my wife can hardly get it in 5th and 6th and it never really feels like it goes in reverse. I've tinkered around with it, adjusting it the little bit you can.... It does have a short throw and it is a nicely made piece.
I see what your problem is, it is a easy fix. Don't let your wife drive your car or get her a gym membership.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ProMaroZ
I see what your problem is, it is a easy fix. Don't let your wife drive your car or get her a gym membership.

I just figured it was an easy way to keep her from driving it..LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mgw