Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 clunky? feel 2002 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 clunky? feel 2002 WS6

I had this rebuilt because of the not smooth feeling when shifting. I compare this car to a 2000 WS6 that I had and the 2000 just slid into the next gear. What I need is maybe a professional or at least someone with a good reputation to just drive this and tell me if I'm wrong or right. I paid over $1700 for a rebuild and I really don't notice any difference. The rebuild was done by a reputable business. I am located in northeast Ohio, Youngstown area. I can and will go to Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Does anybody know of someone I can take it to just for a second opinion? I have had friends drive it and their opinions are about the same as mine. I want an independent third party to tell me if I'm full of it or not.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My stock '02 trans that has never been touch feels notchy and the car has like 40k on it. Its normal for the T-56 to feel like that. Some people have found luck with trying different trans fliuds. I use Synchromesh and I think its fine.

I tell you what is weird is I had a 2000 Hyundai Accent and the feel of that mushy gear box is retarted compared to this car with the Textraila, Tick, and a stock t-56.

Your probably just used to a well broken in transmission and that stuff is newer, its a different feel.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T56 Rebuilds do need time to break in before they feel 100%. An improperly working hydraulic system can make a transmission feel clunky too, though. Check out our Adjustable Master FAQ for more information: http://www.tick-performance.com/imag...kshiftfaq.html
Old 08-17-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure when the synchro friction material changed from paper-particle to carbon particle but any modern rebuild would have used the more duable carbon parts. Although the durability increase was great, it came at a cost of shift feel. Carbon linings produce a more agressive synchro feel. Bottom line is you could have had the paper in your old box and that would definitly have produced a smoother shift.

Quick Reply: T56 clunky? feel 2002 WS6