Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LED signals, driver side wont blink! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default LED signals, driver side wont blink! Help!

Hey guys today I noticed my driver side turn signal does not blink. It lights up just fine, but when I turn on the hazards or the left turn signal it does not blink. The passenger side signal lights up and blinks just fine as do the rear signals. What is the problem here? I have LED's in the front with EL-12 flashers. I'm guessing its a problem with a wire to the driver side socket and not the flasher since the passenger one works fine. I switched bulbs from one side to the other and that produced the same result. Any ideas or anyone dealt with this kind of problem? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Blk98ls1; 08-10-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try adding a 1K ohm, 1/2 watt resistor, attach one side to the negative wire and the other side to the turn wire (should be the outer wire)

You can get the resistors at radio shack for couple bucks.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

whytryz28
Resister isn't needed since he replaced the stock thermal flasher with an electronic one. Also, since the problem is only on that socket, its probably a problem on the socket. It might be corroded or there may be a break somewhere in it or leading to it.

Blk98ls1
Just to confirm. Only that 1 socket is affected, right? And when you swapped bulbs, the problem remained on that socket and the bulb worked fine in another socket, right?

Do the rears work normally?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check it with a normal bulb and see if it works. I gave up on LED's in the front. Every set I had would get burn marks inside from over heating and would eventually just fail. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by VIP1
whytryz28
Resister isn't needed since he replaced the stock thermal flasher with an electronic one. Also, since the problem is only on that socket, its probably a problem on the socket. It might be corroded or there may be a break somewhere in it or leading to it.

?
I went with all LEDs in the rear and they didnt work, guys are Webelectrics told me install the resistors and they worked. Just giving my input based on experience.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I'm leaning towards the corroded issue with the driver side socket, i might just buy a new socket and wire that in. First I'll try cleaning it with some alcohol though. Yes passenger works just fine. I will also try using a regular bulb, that shouldn't hurt the el12 flasher correct? Thanks for the help guys. Rears work just fine as well.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay so after months of just letting it be, I decided to try and fix the issue the other day. My problem is still the same, everything about the driver side signal works fine, except the fact that it wont blink! Turns on fine, it just wont blink when I use the turn signal or use the hazards. All the other turn signals work, front passenger and both rears blink fine.
I tried putting in a regular bulb, still wouldn't blink. I swapped the entire bulb housing from one side to the other and its not the housing since it worked fine when I put it on the passenger side.

If the drl's are on both bulbs are fine, until I hit the turn signal which turns the driver side bulb off until I turn off the signal then the bulb illuminates again. Signal indicator on the dash blinks fine and rear bulb blinks fine.

I tried taking each wire out the goes into the housing while still having the other two in and the bulb wouldnt light up, so I believe all of the wires are getting juice. Is there something that I can check that the three wires (blue, black, brown) go into that may be bad?

Any help would be really appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Test light on the turn wire is the best way to check.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Try adding a 1K ohm, 1/2 watt resistor, attach one side to the negative wire and the other side to the turn wire (should be the outer wire)

You can get the resistors at radio shack for couple bucks.
Also can't hurt to try this method.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my passanger side stopped flashing it lit up fine until i put a new bulb now it flashes

Quick Reply: LED signals, driver side wont blink! Help!