Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

06 Duramax vs 01 Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Duramax vs 01 Powerstroke

I just bought a 06 Duramax on Monday. My best friend has a 01 Powerstroke crew cab long box dually with a 6 speed. My duramax is a crew cab reg. box.

Monday night I get a call from my friend. He needed to move his boat on the lake and asked if I could pick him up from the second dock and give him a ride back to his truck. I just got done signing the papers at the dealership for it when he called. I told him I'd be there in 15 mins.

I drop him off at his truck and back out first and head over to the road. Were in the middle of nowhere. I pull out on the road first, and I look in my rear view and see my buddy back there making his truck pour black smoke out of everywhere behind me. ******* awesome...

He lines up next to me. I'm in the left lane and he's in the right.

He signals me to take the hit. I give it a few second, and put the pedal down to the floor. He drops back to the back of my cab and then slowly starts pulling away on me. By about 95 he's a solid 3-4 truck lengths (keep in mind he has a ******* truck the size of a small RV) up. I got walked, and in the process, covered in black smoke.

after we both slow down, were both in the same lane and he's now in front of me. He decides to "roll coal" in front of me just to rub it in.

My Duramax is bone stock. His Powerstroke isnt exactly stock. He's got a tune, exhaust (no muffler), CAI, and some other stuff done that I have no idea about.

It was pretty fun. Not going to lie. I kinda knew I had it coming.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

haha , time for mods on yours now .
Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I have seen some fast *** diesels. Watched a few Cummins boys come to the track and run everything from high 10's to low 13's. Also watched a big *** new F350 King ranch. Which means its loaded. It had a 6"-8" lift come with some rims that looked like least 20's and tires that looked like they would still live off road. He let the family out. Went straight to the lanes. He went by I thought he is kinda moving. He ran a 12.1 and then came around loaded the family and left. I was kinda impressed.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Thats odd. It takes a tons of mods for an 01 PS to even hang with a stock 06 LBZ? Did you launch in 4wd high?

Congrats on truck-thats the best buy in my opinion if you want to mod a bit-easy 12 second truck with bolt ons.

Get EFI live,turbo back exhaust,Transgo for Allison along with a nice pan and any cold air kit with a Banks Scoop and maybe a Diamond Eye down pipe along with sleeves for the front end. Easy 13.0 truck depending on weight
Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Thats odd. It takes a tons of mods for an 01 PS to even hang with a stock 06 LBZ? Did you launch in 4wd high?

Congrats on truck-thats the best buy in my opinion if you want to mod a bit-easy 12 second truck with bolt ons.

Get EFI live,turbo back exhaust,Transgo for Allison along with a nice pan and any cold air kit with a Banks Scoop and maybe a Diamond Eye down pipe along with sleeves for the front end. Easy 13.0 truck depending on weight
We did a roll race. Prob around 50mph.

I might just do an exhaust and small lift with bigger tires and call it a day. I need to keep it reliable so I can have something to drive all year round. It's already got a k&n filter on it
Old 08-11-2011, 10:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like even though you knew you were the underdog and got the smoke train it was still pretty fun. I agree, get to some modding. Just basic stuff should liven that truck up pretty fast.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

get a tune, well worth it. My 06 has exhaust and efilive only. Dd, very reliable, gets 22 mpg on the hwy, will pull a house down, and it would take one built *** ford to keep up
Old 08-11-2011, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

That is awesome. Me and my buddy not matter what we are driving, always race each other.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, he told me he'd put my vette on a trailer and tow it behind him and "beat me with my own car" that's being towed by his truck. I thought it was funny.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
Yeah, he told me he'd put my vette on a trailer and tow it behind him and "beat me with my own car" that's being towed by his truck. I thought it was funny.
That made me lol. I gotta get me a duramax with mods now just so that I could say that
Old 08-11-2011, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzTkPTKQ_dA

This is my cousins nasty cummins

Quick Reply: 06 Duramax vs 01 Powerstroke