LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Overheating a bit

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overheating a bit

Ok guys, my car is starting to overheat a bit lately. It will heat up and the check guages light will come on. If I turn my A/C on max it will drop back down. This usually works in town, but sometimes on the highway if it is hot outside it still wont cool down. I usually have to leave the a/c on after it cools down just to prevent it from heating up again. I still have the 180 degree thermostat and stock waterpump. I will have to check for blockage in the radiator but I was just under there the other day and didnt see anything. You guys got any ideas??
Old 08-11-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

could be a stuck thermostat or air in the system. Bleed the air out first.. Check the level of your coolant. Then check thermo.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by food nd cars
could be a stuck thermostat or air in the system. Bleed the air out first.. Check the level of your coolant. Then check thermo.
Ok i will give that a try. I looked at the coolant level the other day and the radiator was full while the engine was cool and the overflow tank was at the right level for cool. I might have to look for a writeup on bleeding the air out because it always confuses me
Old 08-11-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two air bleeds - one on the thermostat's housing (if memory serves - it's 9/32) and one that uses a large flat bladed screwdriver on the heater hose; open those when your car is running and at operating temp - when coolant comes out, close the bleeder.

So simple even I can do it.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by great421
There are two air bleeds - one on the thermostat's housing (if memory serves - it's 9/32) and one that uses a large flat bladed screwdriver on the heater hose; open those when your car is running and at operating temp - when coolant comes out, close the bleeder.

So simple even I can do it.
Haha ok good. Thanks for the guidance
Old 08-11-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turning the AC on is turning on the fans. I'm guessing they are not turning on when they should with the AC off.

Al 95 Z28
Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Big Al
Turning the AC on is turning on the fans. I'm guessing they are not turning on when they should with the AC off.

Al 95 Z28
This is what I was thinking too. What would cause the fans to not turn on? I checked a few days ago just to make sure that they were both securely plugged int
Old 08-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Big Al

Al 95 Z28
My first thought also, but, shouldn't matter going down the highway.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

btw. I like to bleed the system after driving the car and the engine is near or even at operating temp. This keeps pressure on the system so when you crack the bleeders coolant WILL come out.. Keep the opti nice and dry. Shove a rag or two around the bleeders. Once you confirm there is nothing but a solid stream of coolant then close em up. You do NOT want too much coolant spewing out. It only takes a few seconds. Repeat this process a few times over a few days and there should not be anymore air in your system.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

check to make sure you air dam is still intact under the car. if its damaged or missing you wont ever cool the car no matter how bled ur system is, how low your thermo is or how many fans your running.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheDon619
check to make sure you air dam is still intact under the car. if its damaged or missing you wont ever cool the car no matter how bled ur system is, how low your thermo is or how many fans your running.
Wow, I never thought of this! I took this off a few weeks back when i was putting on new plugs and wires, it gave me an extra 5 inches of clearance to lay under the car. Then i took it for a test drive and never put it back on. Im sure this is the problem then. I will put it back on and let you know

Quick Reply: Overheating a bit