Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What could be better in this setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What could be better in this setup?

This is a "for now" setup as all parts were purchased used and are just an upgrade over stock.

UMI non adjustable torque arm
Bilstein HDs
Sam Strano springs
BMR tubular non adjustable LCAs
BMR tubular non adjustable PHR
Eibach front and rear sway bars
UMI chromoly STB
Wheels are 18s with 275-35 tires.

I want to put some SFCs on the car and a tubular k-member/a-arm setup on the front. Other than adjustable LCAs(poly/rubber) and an adjustable PHR, what can you see as a point of focus for overall handling?
Old 08-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Adjustable panhard bar for sure since you have lowering springs. As far as adjustable goes I would go for adjustable TA before I would do LCAs. I personally don't see the reason for adjustable LCAs. Also relocate the TA off of the transmission just to be safe. That way you have room for improvement if you wanna do motor upgrades.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z
This is a "for now" setup as all parts were purchased used and are just an upgrade over stock.

UMI non adjustable torque arm
Bilstein HDs
Sam Strano springs
BMR tubular non adjustable LCAs
BMR tubular non adjustable PHR
Eibach front and rear sway bars
UMI chromoly STB
Wheels are 18s with 275-35 tires.

I want to put some SFCs on the car and a tubular k-member/a-arm setup on the front. Other than adjustable LCAs(poly/rubber) and an adjustable PHR, what can you see as a point of focus for overall handling?
As said an adjustable PHB will center the rear, although you may not be able to tell a difference in handling. This of course can be replaced with a watts link for better handling.
You can get better shocks for better overall handling, control, feel, balance and if you get adjustable you can tune to your liking.
What kind of bushing do you have in the LCAs? If you have poly, they may bind on you and cause wheel rate to go up, rod ended are preferred for handling but can be noisy. A good compromise supposedly is 1LE bushings in stock control arms.
Eibach swaybars are 35mm/25mm right? You can downsize the rear bar to 21 or 22mm for better balance.
STB does nothing.
You can run wider wheels/tires if you want.
Stock torque arm is fine, you can get an adjustable if you want to change your pinion angle, but dont expect much (if any) handling gains, get a full length one, not a short one (I saw little to no gains with my full length adjustable, rear seems to be more planted maybe)
Save your money on SFCs and use it toward better shocks(konis or higher end) and a rear swaybar, that would be a WAY better investment for handling. SFC's didn't do squat for me, koni shocks were by FAR the best handling mod Ive done.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subframe connectors should be one of the first mods if your gonna do any kind of spirited driving. Your car will thank you.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
As said an adjustable PHB will center the rear, although you may not be able to tell a difference in handling. This of course can be replaced with a watts link for better handling.
You can get better shocks for better overall handling, control, feel, balance and if you get adjustable you can tune to your liking.
What kind of bushing do you have in the LCAs? If you have poly, they may bind on you and cause wheel rate to go up, rod ended are preferred for handling but can be noisy. A good compromise supposedly is 1LE bushings in stock control arms.
Eibach swaybars are 35mm/25mm right? You can downsize the rear bar to 21 or 22mm for better balance.
STB does nothing.
You can run wider wheels/tires if you want.
Stock torque arm is fine, you can get an adjustable if you want to change your pinion angle, but dont expect much (if any) handling gains, get a full length one, not a short one (I saw little to no gains with my full length adjustable, rear seems to be more planted maybe)
Save your money on SFCs and use it toward better shocks(konis or higher end) and a rear swaybar, that would be a WAY better investment for handling. SFC's didn't do squat for me, koni shocks were by FAR the best handling mod Ive done.
As always spot on man. I always enjoy reading your posts.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Yes the bushings are poly. I plan on driving this car on the street and the occasional day at the auto-x track. Just want better than stock without killing the wallet. Thanks for the ideas guys. Anything else you'd do in a street(99%)/auto-x(1%) car?