Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Will I feel/notice Lcas,phb and subframe connectors all at once?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will I feel/notice Lcas,phb and subframe connectors all at once?

Ok so really I am just wanting to hear people say there will be a difference but I thought I would just ask anyways.

On my last z i added an on car adjustable phb and I could feel at least what I thought was the rear end feeling a little more like it was a part of the car.

I want to add weld in sfcs just because.

Lastly I see people changing lcas. Now the images I conjure in my head is they cant make 'that' much of a difference can they?

All 3 are relatively cheap and simple and I was wondering if doing them all at once would be a noticeable change ?
Old 08-12-2011, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

Yes you will feel a difference. But also try to get LCA relocation brackets. When i had my non adjustable LCAs installed, i BARELY felt a difference. I think the stock boxed LCAs were pretty strong for being stock. My UMIs are much stronger but without relocation brackets i didnt feel much of a difference. However my adjustable PHB did make a noticable difference when turning. I doesnt feel like a GTR, but theres a difference. I still dont have SFCs but ive heard they also make a noticable difference.
So LCA+PHB+SFC at once = Big difference.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You definitely will notice a big difference if you do them all at once. You're stiffening up the whole car quite a bit!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Like mentioned you would notice a difference in how the car feels and drives.

I hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 08-12-2011, 04:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Personally, my SFC's made the BIGGEST difference!! Un-frickin real how much that changed the car! LCA's; less wheel hop and more grip. PHB, yeah kinda... less soupy sway in the back end.

If you do all those, it WILL be money well spent! You will not regret it!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:54 AM
Staging Lane

It will basically feel like a different car doing it all at once. That is how I did it. As they have said SFCs make the biggest difference in the overall feel of the car. A lot of the squeaks and rattles went away after I got them in.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

LCAs with relocation brackets will help a lot with wheelhop on launch; normal cruising, won't make much difference.

My SFCs didn't do much to make the car feel less like a soggy pan of spaghetti, but at least now I can jack the front corner up and not leave the rear tire on that side on the ground.

Panhard rod helped with *** wiggle when cornering (especially with mid-turn bumps and ruts).

I'd say you'll notice a small to moderate difference in various situations, but not more than that. Still worth doing, though - suspension parts build off one another, so even if individual parts don't feel like they make much of a difference, it adds onto other suspension mods in the end.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole car will fill a lot tighter. The rear end also won't track as much anymore. Money well spent in my opinion. I don't even worry about go fast mods that much anymore just because how much more fun the car is to drive.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

If only there was some single suspension mod that would make the car feel "stiffer," more controlled in direction changes and over bumps, and that would help with hop under acceleration and braking...
Old 08-12-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did all the exact mods you mentioned OP only...at first I felt a big difference the car felt stiffer definitely, in a good way! It stays straight when launching and just the car feels so rigid. BUT it still rides like crap after getting used to it, I don't think it was a drastic improvement at all. I still need to upgrade shocks/sprigs though.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

those parts will do nicely.

would you notice if you installed headers, a lid, and an LS6 intake?

same difference, different color shirt...

do you have a good set of shocks on the car? bilsteins at a minimum?

with the red rust dragon of death, or as the factory calls it, an 87 camaro, I made the unfortunate mistake of welding on a fresh new set of spohn subframe connectors to a shitty all original 180 thousand mile car. that 200 dollars would have pretty much bought the things i NEEDED, like tie rods, ball joints, and bearings.

anyways, those SFCs actually made the car ride and drive WORSE, due to the unfriendly number on the odometer.

i eventually grew up and got around to replacing the shocks and springs. not only did the car ride much nicer, it handled and launched better too.

its typically better to buy the things we need, than what we want...

Although you haven't mentioned what else is done to the car (shocks?), I'm sure your car is in better shape than my 3rd gen ( I pray so).
Old 08-12-2011, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed the stiffness in the car right after installing the sfc's. My adj phb and non adj controls arm with relocation brackets didn't help much for traction but at least it centered my rearend.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
If only there was some single suspension mod that would make the car feel "stiffer," more controlled in direction changes and over bumps, and that would help with hop under acceleration and braking...
S...s....sh....sho...STRUT TOWER BRACE!

Old 08-12-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Element
S...s....sh....sho...STRUT TOWER BRACE!

...Pandora called, she wants her box back.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

I never really noticed all that big of a difference between having the STB on or off, but I have it on.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I doubt you will notice PHB or LCAs. STB made a difference
in cornering "cowl shake" on my 'vert, not sure whether a
T-top or sedan would show anything.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 3.8blackmaro
I never really noticed all that big of a difference between having the STB on or off, but I have it on.
It makes a huge difference when you are really tired, working under the hood, and need something to lean on.

To be more serious...

LCAs might help you feel a difference in wheel hop if you are changing the bushing material since the stock rubber style bushings are partly to blame for the hop (the rest from poor damping). If you are lowered, relocation brackets can improve the LCA geometry back to normal-ish. For even cheaper you can press in solid Moog rubber bushings into the stockers.

Panhard bar is somewhat of a similar story. Bushing difference is key here, especially if your decade old panhard bushings are dying. If you aren't lowered an adjustable isn't really giving you any advantage unless you want to run a wider tire on one side of the car than the other.

SFCs... might make some panels rattle less. Gives you a spot to jack the car. Adds weight though. I think the real performance benefit is quite dubious.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 08-12-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Banned

Strut tower bar is a hotly debated mod, many say it does nothing, some say otherwise. For the price you might as well have one IMO, if not for a performance gain, then for some under-hood bling
Old 08-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
It makes a huge difference when you are really tired, working under the hood, and need something to lean on.
Sometimes having a v6 is advantagous. I have a good foot of room from the front of the engine to the fans and I just sit in the gap.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

lol I did the same thing building my z28... I got the car with just the long block / drive train, so I had a nice foot or two where the fans and radiator were gonna go where I could just stand and put stuff in. It was great for installing the headers

Originally Posted by 3.8blackmaro
Sometimes having a v6 is advantagous. I have a good foot of room from the front of the engine to the fans and I just sit in the gap.

Quick Reply: Will I feel/notice Lcas,phb and subframe connectors all at once?