Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rattling from rear suspension, Leaning towards Watts link

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling from rear suspension, Leaning towards Watts link

I had some suspension components put on my car over a month ago, lowering springs, shocks, watts link, sway bars. At first everything was fine and there was a little noise due to the stiffer ride but no rattles or clunks or anything major. I went on a road trip and a rattling noise started to occur from the rear end. Looked under the car couldn't see anything loose or hanging, jacked the car up looked again and still nothing. I had a buddy look under the car as I pushed down on the rear to hopefully simulate going over a bump or whatever. Well I think it is my watts link and in the very center of these there is a vertical component that has three bolts through it. It almost seems as if one of the bolts is moving up and down causing the rattling. Anyone have this issue with their watts link or any weird rattles or noises after watts link install?

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it the Fays2?

Check that the torques are correct... they need to be torqued pretty well. It sounds like you are talking about the propeller. The propeller should not have any wobble in it, although it should rotate freely. It needs to be seated nice and securely against the frame. Also the rod ends will clink a bit when new if they bolts that secure them are not torqued.

Since it is only a month old I wouldn't think that the rod ends are wearing out yet. I have had mine several years and have since replaced the rod ends because they wore and loosened up and would make a rattling noise.

The other thing is that I have a slight pinion leak which mists some gear oil onto the rod ends in the propeller. This makes them noisy over irregular surfaces until I clean them off.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you check to verify your sway u-bolts to the axle are all tight and vertical instead of on an angle? Be sure to check your exhaust mounts and possible spots the exhaust could be touching any other part of the car.

Quick Reply: Rattling from rear suspension, Leaning towards Watts link