Child Support and Joint Custody ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Child Support and Joint Custody ?s

SO as of 2 weeks ago, I am a single man again! Wife decided to pack her **** and go and after 6 months of trying to save our marriage it is now over.
Problem I have is they hit me with full Child Support yet we both have Joint Custody? 50% of the time my daughter is with me and the other 50% with her Mom. I do make about 20K more than her, but I busted my *** to get where I am, she had remained idle at her job for years and gone nowhere! I need to be enlightened by some of you Texan guys in the know about this situation. I am planning to appeal the child support part as I am paying the entire daycare bill and she profits a few hun on top? SHe has no financial responsibility for my daughter that I do not have. Food, home, clothing, and for the past 6 months I paid the bigger amount of daycare to try and make things fair. I know the law doesn't see it my way, but if we both have 50% part in making this child, shouldn't that financial responsibilty be shared as well? Please shed some light for me LS1TECH.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Say she cheated maybe they will flip it on her...But really I have no clue man. My uncle is in the same boat and they tear him up with that child support money coming out his pay check. I think I'll just stick to having a dog and no kids.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you leave on good terms with your ex?

If so she can tell the courts that both of you are doing this 50/50 and should help your case.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:12 PM
9 Second Club

You know, being 22, people always tell me do NOT get married. I've never really listened, but now I'm really thinking about it before it's too late...
Old 08-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FSTR/TA
SO as of 2 weeks ago, I am a single man again! Wife decided to pack her **** and go and after 6 months of trying to save our marriage it is now over.
Problem I have is they hit me with full Child Support yet we both have Joint Custody? 50% of the time my daughter is with me and the other 50% with her Mom. I do make about 20K more than her, but I busted my *** to get where I am, she had remained idle at her job for years and gone nowhere! I need to be enlightened by some of you Texan guys in the know about this situation. I am planning to appeal the child support part as I am paying the entire daycare bill and she profits a few hun on top? SHe has no financial responsibility for my daughter that I do not have. Food, home, clothing, and for the past 6 months I paid the bigger amount of daycare to try and make things fair. I know the law doesn't see it my way, but if we both have 50% part in making this child, shouldn't that financial responsibilty be shared as well? Please shed some light for me LS1TECH.
Just stop paying the daycare cost, food and cloths and just pay her the child sup money. That's what child support is for.

Just buy food and clothes for you daughter, just keep them at your residence for when she comes over there when it's your turn to have her.
If it's 50/50 now, I would hire a Family Attorney ASAP/double time and file for joint shared and physical custody before your soon to be ex-wife files for sole custody. http://library.findlaw.com/2000/Jul/1/131093.html

Why would you appeal the child support? What's going to happen is they will make you take a paternity test which will prove you are the father and the child support case will stand. During the entire length of the child support appeal, you will still have to pay child support.

The good thing is that she's working, so she can't file for spousel support. Thats how some of these women get shot or come up missing, they try to screw their Exes over by making them pay spousel AND child support, while their out f**king some other dude and the you're stressed out trying to figure out how you're going to make it when 40% of your check is being taken away.

What was the cause for seperation?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slash8915
You know, being 22, people always tell me do NOT get married. I've never really listened, but now I'm really thinking about it before it's too late...
DON'T DO IT! Unless you know she's a ride & die chick for you.

Too many ignorant guys try to marry a chick to cuff her. FAIL!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. Hide your money-they can go after bank accts
2. Be real nice to her, dont be a jerk
3.Go to church , volunteer etc- prove to the courts your an upstanding citizen ,family man
4.Be a good dad !!! dont forget about your kids
Old 08-12-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have joint custody of my daughter, but she stays with her mom 90% of the time. I pay $700 a month. My ex emailed me a couple of months ago asking if I could help out more. I told her if it costs $1400 a month to raise a 14 y.o. girl, then she has to prove it to me and I would think about giving her more. My child support pays all of what you mentioned. I pay for health/dental/eye insurance. Her mom and hubby just bought a travel trailer and truck, I wonder who's paying for that? I would quit paying for all the extra's and tell your ex that she has to pay also. Keep it nice and clean but firm. And like ssteven said, dont' ever forget about your kids.

I still have to pay for all the times my daughter is with me, summer break, x-mas holidays, etc.. 4 more years.

Oh yea, Texas child support laws always favor the mom. They suck for the man. Hate to say it like this, but get used to it.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Teching In

get a lawyer. if not your gonna end up screwed.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:21 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Courts will always side with the mother. Men always get screwed by the child support system. Appeal all you want, you will pay full amount no matter what...
Old 08-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Launching!

men get screwed bad! BE NICE TO HER! because every few years she can have your income reviewed and her child support will go up if you make more money.

I'm nice to mine and my child support has stayed the same for the past 8 or so years.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Banned

This I why I pull out.............
Old 08-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Just wait until you're in the late 20s before having kids. Divorces are messy but when you involve kids it takes it to another level.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Speaking from experience, this is what you do... Nothing! what until she goes to have it increased. The AG's office has to make the decision for you. Be the father you know you ought to be. Keep all reciepts for everything that you buy and do for your daughter. Your ex is the mother of your child and treat her as such. Even if she treats you like ****, It is in your best interest not to retaliate. Just go on with your life. Follow all rules that the AG's office has set. When she goes to have your child support raised, and she will, they always do, be prepared to show what kind of father you are. Tell them that instead of raising it they should lower it because your are a big part of your childs life and could do to positively effect her life if you where more financial able. Have her show what she needs the extra money for. What is she spending the funds on. If you are spending X amount of dollars when she is with you and paying child support, the AG's office will not ignore that. These things always start off with the woman getting the child and child support but they do not always stay that way! Hope I have been of some help. Now I need a drink!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

ok well I have 50/50, and it's pretty standard now to figure standard percentage for child support on the difference of the incomes. Which I still think is dumb, I have a real problem with child support but that is another story.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HTX
Courts will always side with the mother. Men always get screwed by the child support system. Appeal all you want, you will pay full amount no matter what...
This is 100% true. If she wants to be nasty....bend over
Old 08-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

i kno a good lawyer that recently helped me. my wife (were workin things out now) nd i were sharing my sons custody 50/50 cuz she agreed for me nd her to share . 1 week he was with me, the other with her. i just had to provide himm with food , shelter, nd stuff he needed, only when he was with me . i think its fair but Sad thing is TEXAS, is wrong for perferring the "MOTHER" over a father. the father has as much rights!
Old 08-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

iwould say hire someone to spy on her legally to prove if shes been cheatin, if she does drugs...tell your lawyer to ask the judge if she can take a drug test there. urine nd hair drug test.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

1.) Hire a lawyer. NOW.
2.) Keep your nose clean. I mean squeaky f***ing clean.
3.) If you have a myspace or facebook account, now is the time to clean it up. Delete anything incriminating and change your account security settings so only friends can see your account. Speaking of friends, delete any that would favor your ex. They can report on you to your ex and her lawyer. Facebook and myspace are admissible in court, fyi.
4.) Start a log that documents everything that happens concerning your ex and your child. I mean everything. Dates, times, locations. You'd be surprised how much that information can help build a case for you in court.
5.) Get a recorder for your land line phone and record every conversation with your ex. Just like the log, you'd be surprised what can be used in court to sway a judge.
6.) You are a man, you are automatically disadvantaged. Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best.

I've been divorced twice. The first time was a mutual thing, we just decided to go our separate ways. I pay child support for our daughter and she lives with her mother. My second marriage ended badly. I learned from the first one though, and followed the things outlined above and I ended up getting custody of my youngest daughter. It helped that my second wife wasn't fit to raise a cumquat. She basically traded me a PS3 for my daughter. No joke, I have the court papers to prove it. Didn't even show up to our divorce hearing, it was bad. Anywho, the point I'm making is that you need to be prepared. Document every single thing you can any way you can. Record the conversations, jot down notes, make sure you can have witnesses testify what happens when you interact with your ex. Trust me, people lie all the time in court. It would suck for you if she went to court and made allegations against you that you couldn't disprove. Best of luck.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help and wisdom guys. I really don't wanna spend more money if an appeal won't help. I just can't see how if both of us are employed and make enough money to pay daycare and other normal costs of a 4 year old, how we both shouldn't pay equal and no support be receieved on her part at all? Or at least not the full 20%! That's BS! Maybe I should file for sole custody being I still have the house she was born and raised in, her mom got a 1 BR Apartment. I spend quality time with my daughter, while the Ex finds it difficult to spend any parental time with her. I attend the school functions as she never does. Etc, Etc.