New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 WS6 ....Piston Slap or worse?? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 04:29 PM
DC
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 WS6 ....Piston Slap or worse?? Help!

One of my LS1 Brothers sent me mail regarding a problem with his T/A and the only thing I can think of is Piston Slap . . .I have had several F-Bodies and so has he but neither of us have had this . . . here is what he says . . .

"Here is all I can tell you about the strange noises coming from under the
hood of the WS6. On 5W-30 when the car is cold, no noise. When it is at
Normal temp, no noise. As the temp comes up over 160 or so you can start to
Hear it at idle (loud clacking sound). Same thing if you drive the car,
Shut it off and let it cool down slightly and re-start it you get it right
Away. Once it is back up to temp, no noise. I switched to 10W-30 and it
Seemed to only change the temp at which the noise starts but it did not make
It any quieter. I switched it back to 5W this weekend and again, I can't
Tell any big difference. It's annoying as hell, especially when I start it
Up warm and I am parked between two cars and it just echoes. Even my
Neighbor asked what the noise was. The SS didn't make noise like this.

watchu think?"

He called the Dealer and a tech said . . ."Well , ya know those aluminum engines tend to make more noise..."

I told him the board has a long search list for slap but thought I would post for him in case someone had the same problem

I have been a member of this board for a few years but am a low poser. . Uh I mean poster . . .this board has been a great help to me in my addiction. Thank you all for the fix.

Any input would be of great help

Thanks

DC
Old 03-03-2004, 06:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is something to do with the AIR system check
valves, people put in restrictor plates sometimes.
I did this on mine to see if the cold rattle was this,
but it made no difference and eventually set an AIR
code. But if he wants to go listen with a cardboard
tube along the AIR plumbing maybe he can narrow it
down (yes/no).

By 2002 supposedly they had fixed the #1 overbore
problem and were using the coated, tighter pistons
so I would think it's something other than "piston slap"
although my car rattles like a diesel in the mornings
too. It doesn't use any oil though so I ignore it.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:55 PM
DC
Staging Lane

Jimmyblue
Thanks . . .good stuff
I fear the dealer is going to leave him hanging so this is the kinda info I was hoping for. Thanks again.

DC
Old 03-03-2004, 08:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's odd. Does he get a SES light? Many times when hte AIR check valves go bad, it will set off the SES light. It's definately worth a shot to change them out, and throw in the restrictors. I dont think they were very expensive when i replaced mine. Thats a good place to start. Does the car have headers? Thats what toasted my AIR check valves. Put in new valves/restrictor plates, and the "noise" went away. His "noise" sounds very similiar to a AIR check valve.

Tim
Old 03-04-2004, 08:16 AM
DC
Staging Lane

Tim

No lights and no headers . . . .yet . . .mod free for now .. . . .
Def will check

Thanks

DC
Old 03-04-2004, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

No lights and no headers . . . .yet . . .mod free for now .. . . .
There's your problem!!! No mods!! your LS1 wants to move and BREATHE!!
Let her free DC, let her free!!!!

On a serious note, let us know what the outcome is, i'm kind of curious on this.

Jeremy
Old 03-04-2004, 10:31 AM
DC
Staging Lane

Jeremy
I wish I was not mod-man . . .I have taken soooo much pipe . . . I have an SS vert that is getting a 427, clutch and 8.8 rear by the end of the month . . .I want to score the new CTS-V but my "Project SS FundRaiser" has me kinda tight . . .I know I would have to mod the V!! I love these cars . . .they are in my blood . . .I am posting for an LS1 bro who loves these cars as well . . .and we both love Hawks!!! He has the 2002 WS6 and we met a few years ago online when he was selling his 99 SS vert . . .I was on my 3rd or 4th F-body in search of another . . .I did not buy his car but it was sooooo clean . . .we stayed in touch and sure enough he scored another F-Body

I will keep everyone updated on what he finds . . .

Thanks again for all the advise and help

DC
Old 03-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Go easy on DC, he's just tryin' to help out!! I don't usually post, just read so here goes. Yes, I am aware of the need for mods. She does have a lid, Y-pipe, and cat back (all SLP) so it is a start. The noise has been there since new (8K on the car now) but like I told DC it is annoying more than anything. I had a '99 SS vert that didn't suffer from any funky sounds. I have known about the piston slap epidemic, but I think this has a different sound to it, almost like a lifter (sounds higher up in the motor). It is due in at the dealer next week to check this out and the air pump started making a lot of noise lately as well. She was supposed to go in on Tues, but I am a sissy and I didn't want it out in the rain. I will let you all know what happens, most likely nothing.
As for mods, I am taking donations...

BD
Old 03-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Rainbows are pretty

Originally Posted by DC
One of my LS1 Brothers sent me mail regarding a problem with his T/A and the only thing I can think of is Piston Slap . . .I have had several F-Bodies and so has he but neither of us have had this . . . here is what he says . . .

"Here is all I can tell you about the strange noises coming from under the
hood of the WS6. On 5W-30 when the car is cold, no noise. When it is at
Normal temp, no noise. As the temp comes up over 160 or so you can start to
Hear it at idle (loud clacking sound). Same thing if you drive the car,
Shut it off and let it cool down slightly and re-start it you get it right
Away. Once it is back up to temp, no noise. I switched to 10W-30 and it
Seemed to only change the temp at which the noise starts but it did not make
It any quieter. I switched it back to 5W this weekend and again, I can't
Tell any big difference. It's annoying as hell, especially when I start it
Up warm and I am parked between two cars and it just echoes. Even my
Neighbor asked what the noise was. The SS didn't make noise like this.

watchu think?"

He called the Dealer and a tech said . . ."Well , ya know those aluminum engines tend to make more noise..."

I told him the board has a long search list for slap but thought I would post for him in case someone had the same problem

I have been a member of this board for a few years but am a low poser. . Uh I mean poster . . .this board has been a great help to me in my addiction. Thank you all for the fix.

Any input would be of great help

Thanks

DC

HAHA HA HA your shizzitss gonna blow up
Old 03-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Rainbows are pretty

dont cry about it , just go trade it in a ford , something that will run and wont blow up and crap
Old 03-04-2004, 11:27 AM
DC
Staging Lane

2002BLGT

Thanks for the Post but if it was meant to evoke a reaction rather than convey information then I will consider you my emotional tampon and thank you for soaking it up . . ..

No mess No Stress
I wish you the Best

DC
Old 03-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Rainbows are pretty

Originally Posted by DC
2002BLGT

Thanks for the Post but if it was meant to evoke a reaction rather than convey information then I will consider you my emotional tampon and thank you for soaking it up . . ..

No mess No Stress
I wish you the Best

DC

wanna run that piece of crap beyach , bring it punk a$$
Old 03-04-2004, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

I guess the only reason to follow 2002BLGT's advise to buy a Ford is out of sympathy.

See, not only has FORD been passed up by Toyota in North American Sales in recent months, but the news this week reads:

GM, Chrysler sales up slightly in February, Ford sales decrease again
Tuesday, March 2, 2004

ASSOCIATED PRESS reports:

General Motors Corp. and Daimler Chrysler AG's Chrysler Group on Tuesday reported modest increases in sales of new vehicles in February.

Ford Motor Co., however, saw sales fall another 3.2 percent.
The only good news for anyone planning to buy a Ford product is that if this steady decline of sales and the future of ford Motor company continues to fall, you may very well end up having Ford pay you to own one.

Just remember that history has always shown that Most Ford Models do not hold their resale value as well as other manufacturers models.

It really is sad news that the above is true as many Americans have been loosing jobs since the last 1 1/2 years of the Clinton days due to NAFTA and other trade agreements. Sept 11th of 2001 all but destroyed many industries here at home. I do hope that all American Manufacturers do well very soon.

Actually it is depressing news any time that an American company falls as jobs are at high risk. I doubt VERY HIGHLY that John Kerry is the answer since he not only supported NAFTA and all of the other trade amendments than sent jobs overseas. Kerry kicked the shins of the working class time and time again, by voting for NAFTA, GATT and the WTO, and PMFN trade status for China. http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0219-11.htm

Hopefully America gains and retains more jobs here at home and Ford regains some ground saving many jobs, GM & Chrysler continue to increase sales and GM brings back the F-Body so I can buy another new car!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 01:57 PM
DC
Staging Lane

BD:

Sorry 2002BLGT High Jacked your thread . . .. But that is where he gets his rise . . .his scene is such that his 50 post consist of baiting members so he can get a rise out of his own. Hey man what ever gets you off. Everyone has different reasons for brand loyalty. I would never purchase the type of car he drives for a personal reason . . . .my wife and kids were all permanently disfigured when the GT she was driving was passed in a road race to the Toyota Prius (MT Car of The Year) . . .. Granted it was a close race but the battery and gas power combo of the Prius proved to be too much. She lost control of the GT (Toyota rubber on the windshield) and ran into vanload of high school cheerleaders on their way to a try-out of “MTV Real World in Cabo” . . . .It is still hard for me to talk about.
Some of the above may be attributed to driver error but not all . . .. Please be reminded the Prius is the MT car of the year and 2002BLGT before you go saying stuff about my wife . . .yeah I know about the unspeakable ways you already had her (and my kids) and I see that as one of the reasons she was driving the GT in the first place and the tips you gave account for the rest of the driver error.

So yeah 2002BLGT I understand. I’m past it now.

BD sorry about the run away post hope someone can post useful info

DC
Old 03-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

No sweat on the takeover.
Useful info would be great, but I understand Ford guys have to find something useful to do with their time. Lord knows they haven't spent it coming up with a decent powerplant.

Nothin but love for the DC

BD
Old 03-05-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well no matter what the dealer is'nt going to admit if it's piston slap or something major believe me i've had plenty of first hand experiance. As far as the '02's being fixed for the PS problem I don't believe it to be true they did'nt fix or re-design any blocks they just put in a new design of rings "oil scraper" and i've heard some type of coating on the piston. My car has a nasty case of PS and it just keeps getting louder and lasting longer, it don't use alot of oil yet (1 1/2 qts 10-30) but it only has 10,000mi
Old 03-06-2004, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

I don't expect much from the dealer either. They already gave me the set up line that DC posted "aluminum engines tend to make more noise", I just want to have it documented that it is a concern. A lot of guys have had some success changing and mixing oil weights, but I went from Mobil 1 5/30 to 10/30 with no noticeable change. It doesn't use any oil between changes, but I am on the 3 month schedule since I don't put many miles on the car so I don't know what kind of consumption I'd have after 3000mi. From what I could see, the car may have an LS-6 block but I spent 2 hours under the car with a remote mirror and flashlight and could only read the first 4 digits. Don't know if it makes any difference.
It was a perfect night for racing at Cecil County last night. It wasn't a perfect night getting the OK from the mrs. to spend the evening at the track. No times to post. Maybe next weekend...
Old 03-06-2004, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Thats strange, I have piston slap all the time and it is very annoying but I don't burn any oil. And you can see in my sig I have alot of miles.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

For checking for the ls6 block you can look on the passenger side of the block and see if it has "donut" mark on the block (it's a circle about nickle size) you have to look straight down and see like a 1/2in chunck of the block that will have the circle,if you have the circle you have the ls1 block. Hopefully someone can link you to the pics showing you what i'm talking about. If you do have the ls6 block your chances of having PS is much less......good luck
Old 03-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Well, as expected the dealer came back with "typical GM engine noise". I don't see much point in arguing.
The air pump noise was also diagnosed as "normal". They said that moisture can get in and freeze in cold weather causing funny noises so not to worry. I explained that the car doesn't see bad weather but what are you gonna do? I guess I will just have to live with it like everyone else (to wait and see if my shizit really does blow up). I'll get back on the LS1/LS6 block. When the article first ran in GMHTP, posts I read didn't have a definite answer on the "donut" or "bullseye" theory but it beats trying to read the casting number.

Quick Reply: 2002 WS6 ....Piston Slap or worse?? Help!