LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Don't have to sell....Yet lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Don't have to sell....Yet lol

Hey guys it looks like I don't have to sell the 97 anymore. My daughter is still having surgery this coming Monday but she wants me to keep the car. She and I had fallen in lusty love with a challenger SRT8 but after she and I went for a test drive I think we both kind of lost the lust for it. She said it was slow lmao!!! She’s 10 but then again the Camaro is a bit wild and she loves when I get on it. I was going to sell the Camaro and buy the Challenger but after not really liking the challengers price tag, Weight and performance and with used car prices going absolutely ape **** we decided to keep the Camaro for now. I will have to by the wife a corvette or something in the coming couple of years because of another promise I made to her but she agreed to wait so we don’t strap our selves and see what the used market will do. So I have a year or 2 to get this thing working reliable enough that the wife can drive it to work if she wants and not kill her shelf in it. I need to change the rear as the 10 bolt is whining to get out of the car do to the 383. I have also though about swapping my problem child of an automatic over to a 6 speed. My wife really wants to get behind the wheel of a standard again and I am ready too. Where do you find a 10+ year old 6 speed setup for one of these things? I would need everything obviously. Junk yards near me are a bunch of crooks and nothing is ever in as good of condition as they say it is. I may also attempt to have the engine I pulled out of the car originally rebuilt and use the LE2 heads I have on the 383 on a 355 set up. IDK just throwing **** against the wall I guess trying to keep my mind off Monday. Anyway Let me know what your thoughts are on where I can get a good t-56 and everything I need. Wont be able to buy right away but Christmas is right around the corner lol.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

My uncle has a srt8 challenger and said it feels slow compared to is 99 SS so he’s putting a whipple on it, It still going to suck. As for the T-56 swap I have seen a lot of people on here sell everything to convert from A4.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are sometimes local m6 guys that are looking for an a4 for a drag setup. I've been offered a switch twice...

If it happens again, I'm doing it. Auto X is so much more fun... of course I could always do a track day with the bike... Damn me and my hobbies.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That's good to hear. I could never get rid of mine no matter how much it just pisses me off sometimes. Unless a pro mod was given to me, there's no other car I'd rather pull up to the lines in on race day.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Thats great news about your car, hope the surgery goes well. On the street the M6 is soooo much more fun, for me at least. I would check out the for sale section in your area, I often see guys parting out LT1's and complete M6 set ups. Unless mine was a track only car I would never switch from an M6 to A4. I was just out wailing on mine in some of this cool air we're getting around here, car was running incredible. I took it on a local lightly traveled highway with some 65mph areas, I must have made a dozen or more runs from 5-80+, oh man it hasnt run this strong since the spring. I just went through 1/2 tank in about an hour, lol...

I just noticed you are on your third 4L60??, oh man that sucks. Thats another great benefit of these M6's, unless you are making really big power (400whp+) they are very stout in stock form. Mine is bone stock and has been shifting perfectly after 14 years of abuse. That includes 200+ runs at the strip, half of them in the low 12's. It shows no sign of needing any work, shifts just about as good now as it did new.

Last edited by GREGG 97Z; 08-12-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sweet news man. I know you have been fighting with the car for a while and family is always first. Glad to hear you get to keep the Z. My offer still stand if you need help or a part let me know man I live in pinellas park and would love to help ya out....
Old 08-13-2011, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

I am glad to hear that everything is working out for you and your family.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys. I am going to start looking around for a 6 speed so I can get an idea of what it is going to cost to swap over. My guess is 2k or less. then I have to find a Rear for it. Boosted I may come down and talk with ya a bit after my daughter is recovered in about a month.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

great news bro! best wishes to your daughter with her surgery and a speedy recovery
have you put up a WTB/WTT post in that section? I'm sure some drag queen() will take you up on your offer.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-outright.html

Check out that thread. They can get you everything you need for the swap. Best mod I ever did for my car.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

awesome.

Challengers are fun cars when someone else owns them. Id rather have a magnum srt8, atleast its useful!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Generally the 6-speed swaps seem to go for $1500 or less. That's about how much I had in mine when it was all said and done. Then on top of that you'll need a new clutch to hold up to your 383, so you're right in line with your 2k or less estimate for the whole swap.. Just keep an eye on craigslist and forum partouts and one will pop up sooner or later.

Also, this is useful once you get working on the swap.
http://www.afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/T56.htm
Old 08-14-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone know if the ZF S6-40 transmission will bolt in to the F body? They are out of the C4 Vettes arn't they? Was this the ZR1 trans?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Cool thanks madhatter I may give them a PM. Thanks for the link to the write up schaefZ28, thats a good write up.