General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Old LS6 valley cover vs. new LS6 valley cover... question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old LS6 valley cover vs. new LS6 valley cover... question.

I just picked up an old style LS6 valley cover because I didn't know there was a revised version with a built in PCV which is essentially holes in the bottom of the black box in between the knock sensor holes.

Am I giving anything up by using the old style LS6 valley? I can exchange it no problem. The only difference I know is that I still have to run an external PCV valve with the old version which doesn't bother me any.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you mentioned, the only difference is the need to run an external PCV Valve. Otherwise they perform identically.

I purposely installed the old style on my 1999 Firebird, so I could retain an external PCV Valve. Rather than risk the chance of the new style failing (which are slim to none) resulting in having to remove the Intake to install a new one.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks. I thought there might be some other benefits but it looks like the pcv valve is the only real difference.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
As you mentioned, the only difference is the need to run an external PCV Valve. Otherwise they perform identically.

I purposely installed the old style on my 1999 Firebird, so I could retain an external PCV Valve. Rather than risk the chance of the new style failing (which are slim to none) resulting in having to remove the Intake to install a new one.
Apparently the new design does NOT have a pcv valve inside but rather is
called a fixed orifice restriction design so there is nothing to fail.....
both designs work well !!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=A.R. Shale Targa;15297911]Apparently the new design does NOT have a pcv valve inside but rather is
called a fixed orifice restriction design so there is nothing to fail.....
both designs work well !!!![/QU

I have a Z06 that had the old valley plate & it would fill the catch can with oil in no time. Once I switched to the 2004 style valley plate, it completely cured the problem. I can go months before I have to drain it. This process was done as a factory recall on early Z06 models. Use the newer style, you won't regret it. You just have to cut a chunk off the engine block for it to sit flush. It's really easy. Just make sure you cover the cam hole really good & use a shop vac as you cut.

Quick Reply: Old LS6 valley cover vs. new LS6 valley cover... question.