Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse split. Exhaust question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse split. Exhaust question.

So i'm really still a newb with this stuff. I have all the camshaft items collected, mainly because I scooped up items that were priced very cheap. I don't have enough money to buy headers and a Y-pipe quite yet. I want to get the cam stuff installed now because i'm growing VERY impatient just looking at this stuff. Would it be ok to install the reverse split cam now with stock manifolds, stock y-pipe and a loudmouth 2 catback? I know the reverse split is designed for an excellent free flowing exhaust so that's why my question arises. Would my car run like absolute crap or would it be fine? My car will only be on the road until mid September anyway then it goes into storage. I'm hoping to collect the headers and y-pipe around Christmas and install them next spring.

I know I should have done headers first but that's not how things worked out.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PACKERSz28Camaro
So i'm really still a newb with this stuff. I have all the camshaft items collected, mainly because I scooped up items that were priced very cheap. I don't have enough money to buy headers and a Y-pipe quite yet. I want to get the cam stuff installed now because i'm growing VERY impatient just looking at this stuff. Would it be ok to install the reverse split cam now with stock manifolds, stock y-pipe and a loudmouth 2 catback? I know the reverse split is designed for an excellent free flowing exhaust so that's why my question arises. Would my car run like absolute crap or would it be fine? My car will only be on the road until mid September anyway then it goes into storage. I'm hoping to collect the headers and y-pipe around Christmas and install them next spring.

I know I should have done headers first but that's not how things worked out.
I advise against camming a RS cam without good exhaust. Yes it will be disappointing and to mention more expensive since you'll have to re-tune after installing a good exhaust.
Also the best type of exhaust for a RS cam is a true dual, dumped before axle, next would be LT,good Y pipe with cutout after merge.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should do some research on reverse split cams before taking the plunge. May not be your best choice for a first mod.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I advise against camming a RS cam without good exhaust. Yes it will be disappointing and to mention more expensive since you'll have to re-tune after installing a good exhaust.
Also the best type of exhaust for a RS cam is a true dual, dumped before axle, next would be LT,good Y pipe with cutout after merge.
Thanks for your input! I will have full exhaust, just not right away.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by COPO9560
You should do some research on reverse split cams before taking the plunge. May not be your best choice for a first mod.
I did do research. Basically, my question was would installing the cam before headers make me lose power or cause any damage. I know headers are important. I'm just sick of looking at the cam stuff and I want to install it early.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok performance gains will be minimal compared to good exhaust. No it will not harm he motor. You'll NEED to tune, do not run it un-tuned, that WILL harm the motor.

IMO be patient.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^Appreciate the input

On a sidenote. I've been getting conflicting answers from search. With the SLP 234/228 .576/.571 113lsa 112cl what pushrods would I need with stock 853 heads, etc? I found in a thread someone with this exact cam was told 7.425? Is this correct or should I get 7.4"?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

from everything i've read on here you NEED to check using a PR checker. Im about to go through my heads/cam swap and while ive read and been told the 7.4 will work fine i still want to check for that extra piece of mind.
the comp pushrod checker is only about 17 bucks
Old 08-19-2011, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

For what it's worth with my true duals 3" to muffler to 2 1/4" over the axle I would gain over .15 and 1.5mph in the 1/8th with the cutouts open and the car would hunt for idle and surge coming to stoplights, sometimes dying. (partially in the tune I know)

I cut off the tails so now it's 3" duals to the mufflers, nothing after. The car runs a lot better and hardly ever surges anymore. Track results no longer show hardly any difference in ET/MPH. Hell, I even noticed a mild gain in fuel economy. And this is without retuning for the lack of tails. I think once I clean it up there might be more to gain.

Do not even consider a reverse split without "overkill" in the free flowing exhaust department IMO. I would absolutely not run one without true duals after my experience.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is your heart set on a reverse split cam?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Why is your heart set on a reverse split cam?
Simply came across a deal I couldn't pass on.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First,why would you add a cam with no exhaust? I would not do that. Next,seems the fastest cars are using a reg-split cam. It seems if you did research you would buy headers/exhaust and boltons first. No deal is good if it may not fit your needs. build your car right one time and save problems.