Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Engine didn't last a summer/ new build time

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Engine didn't last a summer/ new build time

Well after all the BS getting this engine up and running. that i got from a member on here and was built by what i thought was a great builder(vendor on here). turned out to be nothing more than a **** poor pile of parts with a big price tag on it.

so how did i find out the engine was bad? well the car started to smoke bad on decell and then all the time. there was oil in one down pipe so i was thnking turbo. sent that in to get looked it was fine. try alot of stuff than said F--- it took the engine out did some testing found the engine had some crazy leak down going on

things wrong
crank trigger was not clocked right (old issuse)
flywheel bolt pattern is way off (old issue)
waited for 4mos and the builder still couldnt get it back together after the trigger was put back on right. (old issuse)
i ended up putting it back to together my self and after looking at the clearance and calling the builder and asking if what i found was ok. he said "its fine"( piston to bore clearances WAY off)

sorry this is me venting

on to the bright side. i took the short block up the Billy Briggs. he stayed after hours until i could get up there after work. i took the engine and heads to him. we knock a piston out real quick took some measurements and he said he couldnt belive it didnt smoke from the start. he said turn around will be pretty fast . less than 4mos LOL

whats really funny is how much power it made still being this poorly built lol

so it s getting new Diamond pistons with the same CR and hoping callies will hook it up on a crank that should of never made it pass a quality check
a better cam as well the one i have is really small

ill post pics of all the crazy junk later. i hope next time on the dyno we should see a %20 increase in power
Old 08-14-2011, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I guess I'll get this out the way and be the first to post and ask, which vendor was it? Was it a machining error or a result of hard use or users error? Or was the tune off causing the problems to start and escalate from there?

I can't quite make out if you bought a new replacement motor (i.e. shortblock or longblock complete with turbo's and all) or bought a car from someone with all this work done to it....?
Old 08-14-2011, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** man....Sorry about that bro. You know I was there for most of that crap too. He bought a pull out motor from a very fast well known member on here. The motor was built by a even more well known shop. We couldn't even get the motor started when we first put it in. There was 1,000 problems. Depth on the pilot bearing for the input shaft was wrong so it ate a thrust bearing. Fixed that and then it wouldn't start at all....after a lot of trouble shooting it was figured out that the crank reluctor wheel was clocked wrong so the PCM wouldn't pick up the signal. Sent the motor back and 4 months go by before its done....now this. I spent almost as much time on it as Tom did...we had good times but this is shitty. I hope that person steps up even a little bit...your name and shop build bad *** stuff but please step up and rectify this situation. I think the members name and shop shouldn't be posted quite yet.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:05 PM
9 Second Club

thanks bro for the details. as far as names go they will not be posted on here.
2nd of all trying to get them to fix the crank trigger was hard as it was. let alone to fix this in a timely fashion i dont see that happen
Old 08-14-2011, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn man that's pretty shitty. If all is cracked up to be about the shop and previous owner then I'm sure something will be done to compensate at least some of the expense.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that sucks.... It certainly takes the fun out of it but it has to get better from here. Best of luck on the new bullet
Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 PM
9 Second Club

not going to waste my time with ethier one. becasue i know it will be a dead end

thanks Tracy i hopeit works out too. Billy seems like he really cares
Old 08-15-2011, 01:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So instead of posting the sponsor's name on here, especially when we have a sponsor feedback sub-forum, I guess you want someone to go through the same thing later on.. that's nice.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No its not quite like that. His case seems to literally be the only one. Right here right now Isn't the place to do it as said. Both the shop and the seller of the engine are very well known and should have a chance to talk to Tom about this...if not it can go in the seller feed back if he wants.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:09 AM
9 Second Club

from what i here its not the frist time this has happened.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by tomz28
from what i here its not the frist time this has happened.
Wow, I hate reading of the problems you're going through. You know everyone on here that reads this is extremely curious as to who this is, me included. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-15-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Tom that is some shitty news especially with all the effort you had in it. Good luck getting it back in order. At least you know it'll be even better!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In for updates. Best of luck to you
Old 08-15-2011, 11:15 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks guys for the support.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:30 AM
12 Second Club

Damn thats frustrating... good luck on the new build.

FWIW you should put a vendor feedback post up.... just be professional and give the vendor a heads up so they can reply.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

do you plan on increasing the stroke in the new build? If not why not go for a stocker?
Old 08-15-2011, 12:53 PM
9 Second Club

The car was too fast for the track with a junk 364cid engine. My car has no cage in it. And I'm putting a better cam in as well. Old one was small as hell 220 dur @ .050 and only 590 lift with a 116lsa. ill be happy with this engine.

On the other side of my life. I'm redoing a lot in my house. I have a baby girl do in Dec. And I'm trying to get my Duramax tuned which is also a PITA right now. So money is all over the place. Kind of hard putting anything to the car right now

But the only thing worst than letting a car sit. Is letting it set all apart. So its got to be fixed
Old 08-15-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guess it would be kinda hard to strap in a car seat with a cage, I didn't realize you guys were expecting, congrats! Haven't talked to too many people back home lately but will be up for Richie's wedding so get that bitch back on the road!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 PM
9 Second Club

good deal look forward to seening you there
Old 08-15-2011, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

I helped tom with building the motor and tuning of the car. We had nothing but problems with that vendor from the beginning. When we went to pick up the motor parts after 4months of them doing NOTHING, we found the parts were just astern all over there shop in plastic tubs mixed in with each other. After going threw all the parts we found out that we were missing a piston. So after we got everything home we cleaned every part before assembly. (1 HR per piston and rod). Then assembly, we then measured everything before and during assembly. We found some things we were unsure of and as tom said he called the vendor. That vendor said it would be just fine. (Complete BS). Basically this build was doomed from the beginning. Since tom was not a high paying comple race car build the vendor didn't care and just basically said F**k you. Can't wait to see what a real motor build from a Badass and caring builder will yield.

Quick Reply: Engine didn't last a summer/ new build time