Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Gains from basic maintainence on an LT1.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gains from basic maintainence on an LT1.

A couple years ago my brother bought my 1994 Z28 from me. The car is an automatic and originally came with 2.73 rear gears. Bone stock it made 230 rwhp and 273 rwtq SAE on a Dynojet.

By the time I sold it to him I had installed a K&N cold air, 1LE intake elbow, throttle body airfoil, and a Magnaflow catback. I also swapped the 2.73's rear for a 3.42 rear from a 6-speed LS1 fbody, along with an aluminum driveshaft.

Once my brother got his hands on it he threw an underdrive crank pulley and electric waterpump on it.

Before moving on with his mods he wanted to get it back on the dyno, but it didn't go as planned, with the car putting down 250 rwhp and 273 rwtq, with a terrible curve as it broke up. From inside the car you couldn't tell it was happening, but if you drove next to him and he gave it some gas then you'd hear it popping.

With about 80,000 miles on the car we swapped out the plugs and wires, and it seemed to fix the issue.

Last week we threw it back on the dyno and here are the results:

Green curve is last time, blue is after the new plugs and wires.

Not earth shattering numbers, but at least he's running at full power again!

Next up he's got a set of 1.6 roller rockers w/valve springs ready to go in, and he's hoping to get a set of headers on it.

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 08-14-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats a strong LT1. auto and no headers making 272 whp
Old 08-14-2011, 10:17 PM

That's pretty similar to others I've seen with similar setups. We're hoping to see 290 rwhp with the rockers and Mac headers with a high flow cat.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do you have to run mac headers?

I hated my MAC headers. the slip fit tube is a terrible design. if you have to run them see if you can weld the tubes together and remove the steering shaft to install them.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:50 PM

Was that your only issue with them? Having then welded shouldn't be an issue.

I've previously had BBK shorties and they fit excellent and gave me a nice bump at the track for what they are. I've also used AS&M headers, but they had terrible fitment and the customer service was aweful.

I know he'd love to go with the Kooks LT's with cats, but the cost is gonna prevent that. I've seen some good performance with the Mac's on other people's cars though.