LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Help needed

I built my lt1 about a yr ago..ran the car for about 4 months with little bugs mainly in tuning...then cold weather came and after a month car started only starting when it wanted to ....and now even in warm weather doesn't want to start only maybe once or twice...when it does actually start ..it runs like a champ then while its running after a 5 mins..10mins ..sometimes 30 mins it will start to fall on its face ..misfire..spit.sputter..backfire and just die...then will not restart..just crank and backfire...i unhook the batt. for a day or so ..and after several attempts it will sometimes restart..when it dies i get no CEL..looking at the scan tool while its running i cannot see anything wrong....checked fuel press and getting 50psi...

I have the delteq coil ign system installed so i even went back to opti to see if it was a prob with delteq and still same prob.. I have changed the opti with 3 gm units to see if that was the prob...no luck...changed every sensor except IAC and MAF ...but again both seem fine on scan tool readings...Vats is bypassed through tune as well as air/egr valve...new delco 02 sensors..

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 410strokerss
I built my lt1 about a yr ago..ran the car for about 4 months with little bugs mainly in tuning...then cold weather came and after a month car started only starting when it wanted to ....and now even in warm weather doesn't want to start only maybe once or twice...when it does actually start ..it runs like a champ then while its running after a 5 mins..10mins ..sometimes 30 mins it will start to fall on its face ..misfire..spit.sputter..backfire and just die...then will not restart..just crank and backfire...i unhook the batt. for a day or so ..and after several attempts it will sometimes restart..when it dies i get no CEL..looking at the scan tool while its running i cannot see anything wrong....checked fuel press and getting 50psi...

I have the delteq coil ign system installed so i even went back to opti to see if it was a prob with delteq and still same prob.. I have changed the opti with 3 gm units to see if that was the prob...no luck...changed every sensor except IAC and MAF ...but again both seem fine on scan tool readings...Vats is bypassed through tune as well as air/egr valve...new delco 02 sensors..

hows the voltage supply to the ecm and coils??
Old 08-15-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i wonder if you have a loose ground somewhere too. are your battery cables good? how is the ground strap from the block to the frame, etc...

then I would check all the fused connections and see if there is any wiring issue (burned wires,etc)
Old 08-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Teching In

im getting 12.8v to the ecu and coils...i am starting to think ive got a broken wire under the insulator some where..im going to check the grounds that mount to the front of the head by the icm to see if maybe all the twisting from takin that bolt off messed something up there..hopefully i find something there
Old 08-15-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like opti man, hate to say it, but those units can be the devil. I would check that system out really good. Check the coil, plugs, wires. It really sounds like secondary ignition.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

check that battery ground cable on the block on the lower right side too.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

he said it did it without the opti and with it....

Have you checked Fuel pressure or spark?

It could be the fuel pump getting hot and shutting down over time, this could be an internal issue or a venting issue if it is the pump.

First things first is to test FP and Spark.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
he said it did it without the opti and with it....

Have you checked Fuel pressure or spark?

It could be the fuel pump getting hot and shutting down over time, this could be an internal issue or a venting issue if it is the pump.

First things first is to test FP and Spark.
fuel pressure is great 50-52lbs..just replaced the fuel pump w walbro 255 ...fuel filter ..rebuilt the fpr..no spark...just replaced the ECU too thinkin maybe it was goin
Old 08-15-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

fuel pressure is great 50-52lbs..just replaced the fuel pump w walbro 255 ...fuel filter ..rebuilt the fpr..no spark...just replaced the ECU too thinkin maybe it was goin
OK first thing to do is split the system in half. prove whether it is fuel or electrical. take a plug out, reconnect it to the plug wire, then lay it on a metal surface (ground) have someone crank the motor over. see if you have a blue spark, if you do, " it should not be an electrical issue" next get a 12vdc test light, connect it to the injector wires for one side, crank it over look for blinking, then check the other side.

BTW how old are your injectors? the original Bosh, and Delphi units are susceptible to the "E" fuels. meaning the alcohol eats the varnish off of the wires that make up the coil, then the injector will short out, and on these systems it shuts down the whole injector circuit due to an over current situation. this happened to my sons 91 camaro V6, bought new injectors from FIE and back on the road again.

this does sound like injectors to me????

funny story; i bought a spare "used" 3.1 on a Saturday for the sons car, and the Son blew the original with 223k the next Wednesday, talk about timing. LOL
Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tinbender59
OK first thing to do is split the system in half. prove whether it is fuel or electrical. take a plug out, reconnect it to the plug wire, then lay it on a metal surface (ground) have someone crank the motor over. see if you have a blue spark, if you do, " it should not be an electrical issue" next get a 12vdc test light, connect it to the injector wires for one side, crank it over look for blinking, then check the other side.

BTW how old are your injectors? the original Bosh, and Delphi units are susceptible to the "E" fuels. meaning the alcohol eats the varnish off of the wires that make up the coil, then the injector will short out, and on these systems it shuts down the whole injector circuit due to an over current situation. this happened to my sons 91 camaro V6, bought new injectors from FIE and back on the road again.

this does sound like injectors to me????

funny story; i bought a spare "used" 3.1 on a Saturday for the sons car, and the Son blew the original with 223k the next Wednesday, talk about timing. LOL
im going to tear into it today hopefully..and check to see whats goin on with the spark because i have a feeling im not getting any....i got new svo injectors on it when i built the motor so i wouldnt think it is that...im thinking its a issue with the wiring harness somewhere...thats the only part that hasnt been replaced yet..lol... really like the idea of grabbing a new harness for it but dont have that kinda money right now ..damn they are high.. would like to go to a nicer ecu setup anyway like a megasquirt setup or something...thanks for takin the time to help me out guys will keep ya posted what i find out when i tear back into it
Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would test spark at the coil first, make sure its good before you blame the opti
Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 PM

I had a similar problem wen it wormed up came out of loop mode it was the temp sensor for the computer
Old 08-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lt1383procharger471
I had a similar problem wen it wormed up came out of loop mode it was the temp sensor for the computer
ya talkin about the one on the water pump housing?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes thats the one that can affect the pcm. How about the ignition switch getting hot a causing issues? I see a lot of them burn the plug up and the switch, would run great and bam shut off and not start again sometimes for hrs. Just a thought all power runs through it and it gets hot.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
Yes thats the one that can affect the pcm. How about the ignition switch getting hot a causing issues? I see a lot of them burn the plug up and the switch, would run great and bam shut off and not start again sometimes for hrs. Just a thought all power runs through it and it gets hot.
thats my next guess is something with the ignition switch or wiring harness on the motor...I hooked a scan tool to it today and looked at some values while I cranked it and got some readings that are all jacked up...

desired idle was 3385
TPS pos was 128 with foot off gas and wouldnt change values when i did press it

ltfuel trim off

and I just replaced the ecu so it couldnt be that..

I will be diggin more into the prob with the tps checking wiring and sensor to see whats up with that..it is a new sensor when i get more time to mess with it
Old 09-03-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

U said u tuned out the vats, i did the same and i still had problems starting it. Isn't there a follow up proceedure to this after u have it tuned out? Possible security issue with the injectors shutting down?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you change the temp sensor in the waterpump?
Old 09-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Did you change the temp sensor in the waterpump?
yes replaced the temp,maf,all o2s, map,opti and tps sensor and still having the same issue..
Old 09-04-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is your battery mounted and what gauge cables are you using, I've seen similar problems with trunk mounted batteries?
Old 09-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
Where is your battery mounted and what gauge cables are you using, I've seen similar problems with trunk mounted batteries?
stock location and cables

Quick Reply: LT1 Help needed