Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS INOP, ASR OFF lights on

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ABS INOP, ASR OFF lights on

So these lights are coming on randomly and the weirdest part is i can feel it in the pedal its kind of scary because the brakes barely work then grab real hard. I have ceramic pads in front and it seems different since those i hate it. Anyone know what it could be???? Maybe some sensor just is shot?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your grounds, fuses and get the car scanned if you can.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:07 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaugus0614
Check your grounds, fuses and get the car scanned if you can.
Can i just disable the ABS all together??
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Seriously 9 times out of 10 these two lights come on randomly at the wierdest times because the brake fluid level is so low that the float switch in the reservoir for brake fluid sinks low enough to turn them on when going around corners, stopping, accelerating, or stopping on an inclined angle. Did you check the fluid?

Vernon
Old 08-16-2011, 05:23 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

First things first: check your rear wheel speed sensors. Mine were coated with so much metallic debris it looked like a fur ball on a stick. If your front speed sensors are bad you'll have to replace the hub as they're built in; this would be where you'd want to scan the car. Next thing check your wiring and all of that. Worse case scenario it's your ABS module which can be pricey.

Don't ignore the problem whatever you do. I tried to, and it got so bad that the car thought it was slipping whenever I tried to give it gas so the traction control kept trying to kick in. You could disable the ABS but that's ghetto. Not only that, but when I was dealing with my ABS/INOP light show I asked about just disabling the system. I think a vendor or someone told me that was hazardous because the car's braking/suspension is set up to run with the ABS operational. If you just yank the system without adjusting the brake system the car may not handle predictably in certain situations. If I'm wrong someone correct me please...
Old 08-16-2011, 06:07 AM
11 Second Club

Do they come on and stay on?

What size wheels and tires are you running?

I ask this because my car does the same thing when I have the 26" front tires and the 28" rear tires on.

Whatever the problem, its definitely wheel speed sensor related....
Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 AM
8 Second Club

I only was asking about disabling the ABS because i hate anti lock i think its an awful system especially when i've road raced the car. But i have 18's all around. 265 35 front 295 35 rear i tried to get close to the stock 275 40 size
Old 08-16-2011, 07:32 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by myk
First things first: check your rear wheel speed sensors. Mine were coated with so much metallic debris it looked like a fur ball on a stick. If your front speed sensors are bad you'll have to replace the hub as they're built in; this would be where you'd want to scan the car. Next thing check your wiring and all of that. Worse case scenario it's your ABS module which can be pricey.

Don't ignore the problem whatever you do. I tried to, and it got so bad that the car thought it was slipping whenever I tried to give it gas so the traction control kept trying to kick in. You could disable the ABS but that's ghetto. Not only that, but when I was dealing with my ABS/INOP light show I asked about just disabling the system. I think a vendor or someone told me that was hazardous because the car's braking/suspension is set up to run with the ABS operational. If you just yank the system without adjusting the brake system the car may not handle predictably in certain situations. If I'm wrong someone correct me please...
thanks i appreciate the info i'll try it this weekend. I'm swapping out the rear end anyways so we will see what happens. I just hate how the pedal feels its like it doesnt work well then a second later works right. Its been since i put the new pads and rotors on it not sure why and it probably doesnt make sense its just weird
Old 08-16-2011, 07:33 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
Seriously 9 times out of 10 these two lights come on randomly at the wierdest times because the brake fluid level is so low that the float switch in the reservoir for brake fluid sinks low enough to turn them on when going around corners, stopping, accelerating, or stopping on an inclined angle. Did you check the fluid?

Vernon
I did check that it was nasty black fluid but i dont know if thats the issue
Old 08-21-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

EBCM needs a rebuild
Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Mine come on randomly as well. Never figured it out, sensors were clean and the damn light is never on when I'm near a scanner. Doesn't effect the driveability of the car so it doesn't bother me.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I get the ABS/ASR/BRAKE light combo every time I go some where. It typically doesn't happen until the car warms up, maybe 10 minutes or so. Sometimes they don't come on at all or come on within a minute or two. From what I've read my ebcm is most likely going bad. Car still drives fine, so I'm not worried.

Quick Reply: ABS INOP, ASR OFF lights on