Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drove a few feet without a torque arm...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove a few feet without a torque arm...

So my dumba$$ removed my stock torque arm the other day. I went to take a drive to the gas station and didn't know you couldn't drive with no torque arm. When I pulled away the car made some pretty bad noises. I only rolled MAYBE 10 feet before I backed it up and parked it. I didn't give it any gas either, just rolled in drive. But now my rear wheels are off center in the wheel well.

Did I really **** something up or is this no big deal? What do I have to do to get everything back to normal? I have an aftermarket torque arm, panhard, and control arms going in so I wanna make sure everything is going to be lined up and ok.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Well if that is actually all you did it's probably fine. Your rear axle will flip forward and back on the lower control arms without the torque arm holding it in place. It's now sitting one way or another and that's why your rear wheels are off-set. The u-joint angle will go too far and make the rear jump around while the shaft is turning causing noise. You just need to get the car back up and reattach a torque arm then get it back in line and rigid. When you do check that your springs are still seated properly and that your rear brake hose didn't get hyper extended and strech or break, if it did replace it.

Vernon
Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Banned

Awesome, that makes me feel a bit better. I'll get under there and fix it xD
Old 08-15-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why did you think they put it there? Looks?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Step away from the car...
Old 08-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Banned

LOL I know it's purpose, but looking at it when I was under the car I didn't think that by taking a short drive without it that anything would be affected. Definitely a retard moment... haha
Old 08-15-2011, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

At least you didn't drive it like a guy on youtube - his car went all over the road he couldn't control it.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

No torque arm at 70 and the *** end goes left then right for a second, then way left and way right. I lost a bolt, in third racing a honda. It was pretty funny.

My buddy was like your spinning at 70. i said uhh I dont think so, pull over and torque arm is dangling.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

you may have damaged the u joint is all,other than telling the ls1 tech community what you did leaves me kinda speechless!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
Well if that is actually all you did it's probably fine. Your rear axle will flip forward and back on the lower control arms without the torque arm holding it in place. It's now sitting one way or another and that's why your rear wheels are off-set. The u-joint angle will go too far and make the rear jump around while the shaft is turning causing noise. You just need to get the car back up and reattach a torque arm then get it back in line and rigid. When you do check that your springs are still seated properly and that your rear brake hose didn't get hyper extended and strech or break, if it did replace it.

Vernon
What he said, or both lowers are set almost parallel, the rear has rotated and straightened the angle of the PHB, moving it to the passenger side.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Banned

It's all good, that's what you guys are here for. I can take a few wisecracks lol.. I deserve them for doing something that stupid. Oh well now I know!

Originally Posted by KRAZY K 2000 TA
you may have damaged the u joint is all,other than telling the ls1 tech community what you did leaves me kinda speechless!!!

Quick Reply: Drove a few feet without a torque arm...