Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Magnum retrofit questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Magnum retrofit questions

In my transmission search, I'm starting to lean heavily toward the T56 Magnum, but since this is going into a third gen and not a 4th gen, I have some questions that are unanswered so far.

1. From reading the forums, I've learned that the shifter in the Magnum is forward by 3.5" or 2.5" or 1.7" or 1.5". Apparently not everybody has the same tape measure! What's the real difference in shifter position? My understanding is that the T56 puts the shifter about 2" farther back than the T5 that's in my car now, so I think the position of the shifter on the magnum may not be a problem for my installation.

2. What's the issue with the speedo output? I've seen people say it's not compatible with the stock LS1 computer. Can the computer be reprogrammed to accept a different VSS input or must this be done with an external box?

3. Has the leaking tail shaft problem been fixed or is it still an issue?

4. How does the backup light circuit differ from the 4th gen T56?

5. Any other issues I should be aware of before I attempt to stuff one into a thirdgen?

thanks
Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got some answers to my questions, and figured I'd post them here for anybody who may have similar questions.

1. According to the guys at D&D as well as the Tremec catalog, the T56 magnum has a shifter position that's 26.6" back from the block.

According to Sallee Chevrolet's website, the T56 dimension is 28.8" and a stock T5 is 27.5". So, the Magnum should sit just about an inch forward of the stock T5, which isn't too bad at all.

2. According to D&D, the speedo output is the ford style 12 tooth wheel instead of the 17 tooth GM style. I still need to find out if the LS computer can be reprogrammed to recognize this or if it's necessary to use a conversion box.

3. Still no idea on this. Hopefully somebody here can chime in.

4. Backup light circuit is just a standard open/closed circuit. Piece of cake.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some more of these issues answered soon.

Quick Reply: T56 Magnum retrofit questions