Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

CARB Legal LSX Swap in CA Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARB Legal LSX Swap in CA Questions

At the end of the year I am moving back to California. I have a 96 ranger that I plan on doing an LSX swap into but just need to figure out what motor I can use to make it CARB legal cause it will be my DD. Can I get the motor out of a car or does it need to be out of a truck since it is going into a truck? Also is there anyone someone could recommend me to that I could get the motor and transmission mounted up? Thanks guys
Old 08-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Launching!

the only true CARB legal kit i know of is the new E-rod from gm performance parts (its basically an LS3)
Old 08-16-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The E-Rod is only compliant in Pre-OBD II (1995 and earlier) vehicles.

Honestly, with the price that it would cost to make your Ranger CARB legal with a LSx, I would just pick up a RCSB Silverado.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 PM

Sorry I didn't mean CARB. I meant BAR legal swap
Old 08-16-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Great info here. Post #1

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=221144
Old 08-17-2011, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Post #1 is a very good post. I would also like to add that you should look into using a truck motor, as truck motors and truck parts (such as exhaust) are much easier to find. Since it will be going into a Ranger, the biggest thing to worry about is intake manifold and exhaust clearance. If the dimensions of the truck intakes/exhaust will not work for your project, you may need to find a donor Camaro/Firebird to pull the motor/smog equipment from.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

to motor swap in CA and have it be legal there is truely only one base requirement.

Motor installed in target vehicle must be newer than year of target vehicle, and smog as though it is in the car the motor was originally intended.

You can put any LS1 in as long as it smogs like the car its from. The easiest thing to generally do is use a 2001-2002 ( PCM ) as that is how the smog machine acknowledges engine year. ( as 01-02 f-body has few emissions )

you'll get it.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Also, you can only put car motors in cars, truck motors in trucks. LS1 in a truck would be illegal, gonna have to go with LR4, LM7, LQ4, ect.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
Also, you can only put car motors in cars, truck motors in trucks. LS1 in a truck would be illegal, gonna have to go with LR4, LM7, LQ4, ect.
That's not true. You can do a car motor into a truck, but not vise versa. The logic for the rule that allows it is that the car emissions standards are more stringent due to a lesser gross vehicle weight than a truck. That is why you can put a car motor into a truck, but not a truck motor into a car.

Edit: straight from the BAR guidelines - "CLASSIFICATION
Don't mix engine and vehicle classifications which will degrade the emissions certification standards. For example, a heavy–duty engine cannot be installed in a light–duty exhaust–controlled chassis even if they have the same displacement. Non–emissions controlled power plants such as industrial or off–road–use–only engines may not be placed in any exhaust–controlled vehicle."

Last edited by ZexGX; 08-17-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

California EPA website:

Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450
Old 08-18-2011, 05:26 PM

Thanks for all of the great info guys! So I would probably have an easier time putting a 5.3 from a silverado than an LS1 from a car? Am I understanding that correctly? The only thing I don't like about the truck motor is that it is an iron block instead of aluminum like the LS1
Old 08-18-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
California EPA website:

Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.

Vehicles converted to 100% electric drive, with all power supplied by on-board batteries are considered in compliance with the engine change requirements. All fuel system components must be removed prior to inspection. For additional information contact the ARB helpline at (800) 242-4450

Lee, I have heard this is more of a true statement with CA and BAR.

Heck put an LM7 in it and call it a day, you could even bore it to LS1 size use stock LS1 pistons, through truck heads on it, increase the SCR a little, and a small cam and there ya go, BAR legal and making power all at once. Sorry put the cam in after getting the swap certified just in case they want to get douchey on ya.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Lee, I have heard this is more of a true statement with CA and BAR.

Heck put an LM7 in it and call it a day, you could even bore it to LS1 size use stock LS1 pistons, through truck heads on it, increase the SCR a little, and a small cam and there ya go, BAR legal and making power all at once. Sorry put the cam in after getting the swap certified just in case they want to get douchey on ya.
I doubt any of the rest of the modifications to the block would be legal according to CA. lmao
Old 08-18-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

motor wise its gonna be hard for them to tell a LS1 from LS6 to a LQ4/9 , since they all look identical , and if you painted the block black , it would be harder to tell a LS1 from a truck motor , though there is some newer 5.3's that are all aluminum

just make sure the tune in the computer used is what its supposed to be
Old 08-18-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by s/c'd cav
motor wise its gonna be hard for them to tell a LS1 from LS6 to a LQ4/9 , since they all look identical , and if you painted the block black , it would be harder to tell a LS1 from a truck motor , though there is some newer 5.3's that are all aluminum

just make sure the tune in the computer used is what its supposed to be
Ahhh but they go and look for the Casting number on the block and match it to the year of the vehicle you are saying it is from, an LS1/LS6 casting may be similar, but the LQ4/9 and LR4 and LM7 are not the same as the LS1/6.

Lee, yeah very true but they are not going to take the heads off to see if you have a larger piston size lol.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive known gm to use the same cast # for years and several different blocks , and not all have the vin or other info stamped into them
Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 AM
Launching!

Reading these posts, tells me that I can install an LS7 into my 2000 WS6 and pass smog?
Some in here said no, it can't be done and be CA legal.
So, what is it?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you can have a 900ci LSX in the car as long as it looks stock , and idles close to stock and will pass the sniffer , no one will be the wiser

or since the LS7 is a newer motor , you can get it swapped in legal like if you follow their rules and use most all the newer emissions equipment
Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Launching!

There's a website; www.enginefactory.com that has some of the nicest drop in LS motors ever seen.
When I contacted them, they told me their motors would not pass CA smog.
Their LS7s are nasty and would really be nice in a bird.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nowhereman
There's a website; www.enginefactory.com that has some of the nicest drop in LS motors ever seen.
When I contacted them, they told me their motors would not pass CA smog.
Their LS7s are nasty and would really be nice in a bird.
that place is a rip.

Quick Reply: CARB Legal LSX Swap in CA Questions