LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

KR at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default KR at idle?

Loving this tunerpro rt program and the aldl cable and being able to monitor everything going on with the car, it rocks!

This is actually the reason i wanted to spend the money on this stuff to be able to monitor false knock, and of course to datalog and improve my tune myself.

At idle, warm idle...foot not on the gas, car in nuetral (shouldve had it in drive now that i think about it) Im getting anywhere from 1-3 knock sensor ratings. I assume this is how many degrees of timing its pulling as i can watch my timing advance go from 25-28ish and never find a solid number.

The moment i give it throttle, like 10% TPS or less the knock goes to zero. I think this is from a header primary hitting the k member and under throttle the lumpy cam smooths out and it doesnt hit the k member as hard or as much. The other question i have is would a badly adjusted valve cause knock? lifter vs pushrod? Im adjusted mine three times now and im sitting at i think a half turn or 3/4 turn (i always wondered how people can forget what they set there engine up like but alot happens between that time lol).

Im thinking about setting it to zero under 1500rpm in the tuning table. my idle isnt smooth at all but of course it could be the cam. I get about 100rpm flutter in my idle. tach needle bounces too and im wondering if it pulling and adding timing is the reason for it. But i guess my main concearn is if its not false knock, is the lifter/pushrod likly to cause only 1-3º? And is 1-3 even a number to be worried about?

Last edited by trilkb; 08-16-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off you will never see a steady timing reading. It bounces +/- 2-3 degrees or so. Your idle KR is likely exhaust hitting the k-member or the chassis. This will set it off right away.

If you have a loose rocker meaning a lifter with no preload, yes you will get KR. This would be obvious cause it would tick rather loudly.

I recently had a idle KR issue too and the solution was to replace the KS. For whatever reason, my older one (not original) was overly sensitive primarily at idle and occasionally when driving.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

i get valvetrain chatter, but it seems like its consistant throughout the motor, unless they are all off?! I figure its a small circle base cam with .606/.603 lift, its open and closing valves quite rapidly and voilently, full roller rockers as well. IVe been told this can make the valvetrain a bit noisey, everyone who has heard the engine run seems to think its ok. I would think if it was a lifter/pushrod/preload issue it would be loud at rpm as well?

Im with you, i think its its header primary hitting the k member. Im thinking about tuning it all out, My tune already has the recover/attack rates reset and the knock limits set to i think 7 down low and 5 up top. I just figured it its happen below 1500rpm i can just set those values to zero and it wont happen anymore.

Quick Reply: KR at idle?