Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Inch LQ4/9 Stroker ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Inch LQ4/9 Stroker ?s

Ok I am a newbie to this site but have been reading here for quite awhile. Im looking to build a 69 pro touring Yenko tribute on C5 Vette suspension with the transaxle etc, 4l60e and I want to build a (LSX427), Now a LQ4-LQ9 bored .060 over with a 4.125 Stroker crank will give me my wanted 427 cubes. Question 1 how well do these blocks react to a .060 overbore? I know these arent sb or bbc's but from my experience .060 is pretty well pushing the envelope... any overheating issues? Wall weakness (ballooning) etc? Question 2 how much machining is required to accept the 4.125 crank? Question 3 heads... Now this one might be a bit touchy but the factory cathedral port 317 heads sound like they will be plenty for what im wanting, A small smoothing port job and gasket matching... Or would it be a good idea to upgrade heads to the L92 etc.. Im swapping the intake anyway i want a nostalgic look, Edelbrock Victor JR intake with Fast EFI. Cam im going to do some homework on I have never liked to wind one past 5500RPM and im looking for more mid range torque than anything (like the ol BB427) and a little cackle at idle, Most important is reliability which is the reason for fuel injection, I make a frequent drive from 9000ft to below 5000ft (16 mile 6% grade) and have had hell with hi compression small blocks and pre ignition problems so im looking to keep it around 10.5(+/-):1 she doesnt have to be an absolute screamer but an honest 400-450hp to the ground would be satisfactory and turn key reliability, (I fix enough broken crap at work) lol sorry for the long winded post, but please any thoughts, recommendations, insights, Im all ears Josh
Old 08-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

I have talked to slot of guys about big cube 6.0's. Tons of sponsors and the most I have heard is to take it out to a 418, when you take it out to a 427 I have read and heard about nothing but problems I mean with the power you want you can do that with a 402 easily. But you want the cubes, it's all in who ya talk to I guess, sounds like a awesome build good luck man.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry forgot Bout other questions, your hp goals and rpm range can be done with the 317s, but IMO the L92 heads are just more reliable and flow more right out of the box, what is your budget for this build ?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply, correct me if im wrong but the 408 (4.030x4) and 414 strokers are with the standard 4" crank correct? not the 4.125crank which is the same as whats in the LSX454, the standard bore 4" with a 4.125 gives 414 cubes, .030 over gives 420 and .060 gives 427.. i know .060 is pushing it with most any engine but im curious is anyone has done this? I know the easiest route would be just buy a LSX454 but i have a hard time justifying $9,000 for just a long block another option is the LSX block which comes at a 3.880 bore with (4.250 Max bore capability at .200 wall thickness) but again $2,000 for a block... $2,500 for the 4.125 stroker crank and rotating assembly (i will have to buy anyways) thats $5000 for a short block, no heads, cam, oil pump, pickup tube etc.... ouch then my Fast EFI, ignition system, accessories will push close to $10,000 in just the engine... Of course were all on a budget but i will have a decent amount to play with on this one (Ex is gone ) But im hoping to keep it under $8,000 using as many factory accessories as possible.. But back to the bore question with the ballpark of 10:1 compression and no forced induction i think it would be ok?? I have run .060 before with sucess but again not with an LS...
Old 08-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

I would say that is pushing it man I mean if you take your motor out that far and f up a cylinder you can bore the block out anymore. I have 12 grand into My 402 just kept wanting to make it faster and faster for 8 grand you can build a really nice 6.0 that will meet all of your goals. I really can't say how it would do man I have never build one Just heard horror stories I would call Shane at thunder racing he has built a ton that's who I get my heads cams and anything LS from they are great Shane really knows his stuff.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The couple of cubes gained from the overbore will be more than offset by the cylinder wall instability caused by the lack of rigidity.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

400-450 RWHP could be made with a H/C 346 c.i. LS1. Especially with a carb. No need to go 427 c.i LS motor to get that amount of hp.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Very true on bein done if something happens, im hopin my 4.125 crank will help that and get me close... and no offense 99 but its a nostalgic tribute kinda thing i want an iron block and retro 427, nothing against the aluminum 5.7 but its just not what i want... Does anyone know the stock wall thickness on the LQ? Anyone dealt with the LSX Block? its kinda pricey but it may get me where i wanna be.. But this is my scenario I sold my 67 GTO my buddy has a 53 chevy pickup on C4 vette suspension with a sb400/TH350 which he is wanting to do an LS/4L60e swap we are goin in halves for a rolling LS1 C5 2000 vette chassis good deal for both of us i get suspension transaxle, brakes, etc for under $3,000 (decent subframes are $2500) and he gets an LS1 with a full harness and all accessories plus tires and rims... Now i want to find an LQ 4 or 9 doesnt matter out of a wrecked truck complete and build my engine from there... I can find them on ebay for around a grand im sure a scrapyard will be close to that.. Use the Block and heads (maybe) and sell the rest... Machine work and rotating assembly im looking at $3000 plus intake Fast EFI, and valvetrain that will bring me to $7000 with a little to boot for other things pulleys brackets etc.. And thanks do they have a website? I cant seem to find it..
Old 08-17-2011, 10:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 69SYC
Very true on bein done if something happens, im hopin my 4.125 crank will help that and get me close... and no offense 99 but its a nostalgic tribute kinda thing i want an iron block and retro 427, nothing against the aluminum 5.7 but its just not what i want... Does anyone know the stock wall thickness on the LQ? Anyone dealt with the LSX Block? its kinda pricey but it may get me where i wanna be.. But this is my scenario I sold my 67 GTO my buddy has a 53 chevy pickup on C4 vette suspension with a sb400/TH350 which he is wanting to do an LS/4L60e swap we are goin in halves for a rolling LS1 C5 2000 vette chassis good deal for both of us i get suspension transaxle, brakes, etc for under $3,000 (decent subframes are $2500) and he gets an LS1 with a full harness and all accessories plus tires and rims... Now i want to find an LQ 4 or 9 doesnt matter out of a wrecked truck complete and build my engine from there... I can find them on ebay for around a grand im sure a scrapyard will be close to that.. Use the Block and heads (maybe) and sell the rest... Machine work and rotating assembly im looking at $3000 plus intake Fast EFI, and valvetrain that will bring me to $7000 with a little to boot for other things pulleys brackets etc.. And thanks do they have a website? I cant seem to find it..
Here ya go. I don't know if Schwanke is still a sponsor or not (So, sorry if I broke any link posting rules)

http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/s...?i=1500&c=1086

It doesn't say what bore, but I'd say it's safe to say they're using a .060 bore. If anything you can just do a partial fill.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Awesome thanks thats exactly what im lookin for or lookin to do, And yeah that has to be a 4.060 bore and thats a iron truck block so i cant see why i cant do that myself and save a grand... any thoughts? I have never dealt with filling one that has me a bit worried any heating issues?
Old 08-18-2011, 12:01 AM
9 Second Club

I personally have no experience with having a filled/half filled block on the street. We've done some half filled SBC's for the track and haven't had issues for years.

You might want to call Schwanke up and see if they can help you out on that. They may have had the blocks sonic tested and know whats going on in there.

We've been wanting to get a block sonic checked, but haven't really had the money or time.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:38 AM
Teching In

Awesome ill hit him up, Im up and down on that i have heard of many track engines filled with no problems but i do want to drive this car... A LOT, i make frequent freeway trips through some pretty good mountain passes and i want to be able to lay into it for long distances and not be babyin a damn temp gauge... And im not sure if any shops in my area can do sonic testing.. There has to be one in el paso..? Im leaning more towards biting the bullet and buying a bare LSX block that way im not worried about thin walls.. And maybe finding a high mileage or failed LQ-LY or whatever 6.0 i can find with good heads and accessories i can rob off of it.. Ill be spending more for sure but i think ill have what i want and it will be reliable
Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 AM
Teching In

Ok my calculations with the LSX (max 4.250 bore with .200 wall clearance) will give me at my 4.060 bore 4.250+0.400-4.060=0.59/2=0.295 wall thickness which is thin but i think it will be ok... Factory bore for this block is 3.880 which equals a 0.395 wall thickness... I really wish i could get a wall thickness for the LQ block....
Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a blast! We do lots of retro fit engines & would love the opportunity to quote a short-block/long block for you! I personally would consider a 427 LS3 setup instead of the iron motor. I know the aluminum motor will be slightly more expensive, but if you consider the possibility of failure from the iron block at that bore, it's really a easy call.

Also keep in mind doing a aluminum LS3 is a double key word for classic car people looking at your car! Think about what holds more value if you were to sell the car. Do I want a LS3 427 or a iron LQ4 stroker? Most people with classic restored vehicles recognize the LS3 name because they have a corvette, or maybe camaro. Everyone likes to say I have a 69 with a new corvette motor! Nobody wants to say I have a 69 camaro with a truck motor..

Just something to consider. We'd love to be able to get you a detailed quote on what a 427 LS3 engine would cost, please do some looking at some threads about what goes into a TSP short-block.

Here's a link to the 429, it's priced identical to the 427.
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-297-tsp...ort-block.aspx
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 08-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Teching In

That is truely a slick setup and well worth the money considering all thats offered with it and for many out there that will be an awesome setup im sure youll sell many... If i was building a Baldwin Motion or ZL1 Tribute to the aluminum 427BBC id be all over it and its in the the list of options for sure lol. Ill definately keep you guys in mind for my future builds and any buddies of mine lookin that way. Do i get a discount for a reference? Lol jk, But unfortunately Aluminum is not what im wantin in this build, crazy i know but i want iron... Truck block or not its still a 7.0 427 same as the Z06 and retro SYC Yenko 427 lol thats wat im wantin... This car wont be sold unless somethin drastic happens, i been waitin on this build a long time and now have no woman to tell me NO haha my money my toys lol the gears are turnin in my head lookin at you guys' website... Baldwin Motion 69 Camaro tribute Green sidepipes... 68 L88 Tribute with aluminum mag wheels... but we all cant be Jay Leno or Chip Foose.... Maybe if i can score a few more years here where im at overseas workin for Cat i might be able to fund a few more projects... (under budget of course with me as the grease monkey) haha thanks everyone for the input and opinions so far!! Very helpful
Old 12-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Teching In

To the OP. You can re-sleve your truck block and make up to 454 cubes. And your block will be bullet proof. Steve at Race Engine Development is arguably the best at installing darton sleeves. He is located in Oceanside, California. Give him a call. Its not cheap thought. I believe it will cost you around $2,700 to have your truck block re-sleeved, decked and honed.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Teching In

You might get to thin on the wall thickness at .060, you really need to have it sonic checked to be sure.
We have an LQ4 sitting in the floor at at our shop that is at .030 I will try to check it tommorow and post the results.

Andy
Old 12-26-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe talk to scott schnorf about a ls iron block ,I believe he dose a 472 with them.TSP are good people to deal with ,maybe they could help.

Quick Reply: Big Inch LQ4/9 Stroker ?s