Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 LH6 in a 91 S-10

Old 08-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 LH6 in a 91 S-10

Getting ready to swap my LS into my sons 91 S-10. Its an LH6 from an 05 Buick Rainer, we are going with a carb'd set-up and TH-350. Engine has 52,000 miles on it and its a DOD engine, will I need to swap the lifters for standard lifters and any clue what reluctor is in this engine? Also and suggestion on what size carb to go with, with it being such a low mileage engine, we're not swapping the cam or anything else, just basicly pulling the efi and going with the Edelbrock Performer RPM and MSD module.

Thanks for any in put and suggestions!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:11 AM
Teching In

Wow, 63 looks and not a single reply?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

For some reason, people on here aren't too interested in lsx swapped s10's lol. Got 3 replies on my build thread. I can't help you though, I'm not familiar with the dod engines. If the engine is physically the same as any other lsx engine, you could just run a different ecu and harness. Good luck with the swap!
Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Pett
Getting ready to swap my LS into my sons 91 S-10. Its an LH6 from an 05 Buick Rainer, we are going with a carb'd set-up and TH-350. Engine has 52,000 miles on it and its a DOD engine, will I need to swap the lifters for standard lifters and any clue what reluctor is in this engine? Also and suggestion on what size carb to go with, with it being such a low mileage engine, we're not swapping the cam or anything else, just basicly pulling the efi and going with the Edelbrock Performer RPM and MSD module.

Thanks for any in put and suggestions!
I can tell you some of what you need to know. We recently used an LH6 in an old Ford pickup. These are excellent engines because of the #799 heads and the flat top pistons which give close to 10:1 compression, but you need to change several parts. You can tell which reluctor by looking at the crank sensor plug located up behind the starter. If it's black, it is 24X reluctor and if it's grey, it is 58X. Ours was a 24X and I'm betting yours is also. You need to change the valley cover to the non-DOD cover with the O-rings to block the towers? which feed oil to the DOD lifters. In our case, we had the non-DOD cover but the O-rings were unavailable due to national back order. I bought 3/8 X16 allen head plugs at Lowes and tapped the towers to plug them. You will need to replace at least the 8 DOD lifters and the 4 plastic lifter trays which locate all the lifters. Since you will probably use a different oil pan, you really need to change to a regular oil pump. The one used in the LH6 is a high pressure pump, needed for the DOD lifters. The original oil pan has a special relief valve built into the oil pan to handle the extra pressure. Some people say you can use the LH6 pump as is....we tried it and it pegged a 100 LB oil pressure gauge at idle. We also tried using the stock LH6 cam. We used the FI and after we got it running, it showed random mis-fires on a scanner. When we checked the compression, the four cylinders that were originally DOD only had 135-140LBS and the other four had 170-180LBS. We changed the cam to a stock L33 cam and then had 180LBS on ALL 8 cylinders. If you are going to a carb and your engine is a 24X, as I suspect...you will use the MSD 6010 box. Be sure you use the MSD box and not the Edelbrock so you can change your timing curves with your laptop. You can actually buy the MSD box and either manifold cheaper by buying separately. If you use the MSD 6010 box because your engine is 24X, there is one other change you MUST make or the engine will not run. You need to lengthen the cam sensor wires so the plug will reach the FRONT mounted cam sensor on the LH6 and you MUST switch the A and C wires on the plug from side to side. These are the two outside wires on the plug and they are marked A and C, (at least they were on the one I used on my LS2.) I will let someone else tell you what you need to use your TH 350 as I have been long winded, but I hope I have given you some info that will help you on your project.
Ron

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 LH6 in a 91 S-10