Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch not engaged when Clutch Pedal at bottom

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch not engaged when Clutch Pedal at bottom

I have a problem with a clutch, master cylinder, slave cylinder. I took the complete drive line from a 2004 Caddy CTS-V, LS6, M12, drive shaft and rear end and installed it in a 66 Chevelle. I bought a new GM master and slave unit for the clutch. Bleed they system with a vacuum pump in the hole in the reservoir @ 12 psi and the old fashion way, depressing the clutch pedal and releasing the bleeder. When you depress the clutch pedal it engages the clutch when the petal move less than 1/2" down and it stays engaged until right before the pedal bottoms out then the clutch lets go and transmission will engage. Thats right when the clutch petal is depressed to the bottom of its stroke it will not disengage the transmission. I have never had this before. I thought that the more you depressed the pedal the further the slave would move but mine gets so far then releases or something, and the clutch will not engage when the pedal is all the way down. Any suggestion.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:16 AM
FormerVendor

I want to make sure that I understand what you are seeing. So, please confirm that I am ready this correctly:
When you depress the pedal fully the clutch will not release, right? But, when you push the pedal down half way it releases the clutch? If this is the case then at full stroke you are over-extending the clutch (pushing through it) allowing it to re-engage.
What flywheel are you using? Are you using stock slave and master cylinders? I assume that these are stock parts and that the clutch is too. Let me know so I can better assist with tech support. Thanks,
Old 08-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Yes you are correct and Stock everything. I pull the tranny last night and took the suggested measurements from the bell housing to the fingers and from the tranny to the throwout bearing with it depressed and they are within spec with not shim.
I am using the clutch and brake pedal assembly from the 66 Chevelle. Today I shorten the rod from the master and put a mechanical stop on the clutch pedal so it can't extend past the point that it disengages the clutch.

She seems to be fine now up in the air.

I am waiting on wheel stud from summit for the front wheels as the CTS-V wheels had 8.5" backspacing and the wheels rubbed on the frame when you turn inward, so I order 2" wheels spacers with studs attached. When I put them on I did not have enough clearance on the out side of the fender so I turned them do to 1" and and the attached studs had to go, am waiting on longer studs to take it for a test drive.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:52 PM
FormerVendor

before you bolt everything back up I suggest checking the SAC-springs on the stock CTS-V pressure-plate. These springs adjust the depth of the plate relative to disc wear and should be equally extended. You should try resetting these before re-installing the parts. The plate will need to be put on a press to do this. If you need more info on the process let me know. Otherwise, just keep us posted when you get the car on the road again. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Clutch not engaged when Clutch Pedal at bottom