Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering the rear with the hose mod and front with Eibachs

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the rear with the hose mod and front with Eibachs

If I lower the rear of my car with the heater hose mod, and put a pair of Eibach pro kit springs up front, will it be a good setup? I'm worried about how it will handle and ride since the springs will be different, and I'm also worried the rake will be too much. I will be using a set of bilsteins on all 4 corners.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned

Or what about keeping the stock shocks in the rear, since I will still be on stock springs, and doing the pro kit front springs w/ bilsteins? Would it just be a better idea to get all 4 bilsteins?

If anyone has pics of their cars with this setup I would really like to see the rake
Old 08-18-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My gut instinct says you should just do billsteins on all four corners and do springs front and rear. It is more costly to do it that way, but I think you will be happier in the end.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Banned

bump..
Old 08-19-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by iWon
If I lower the rear of my car with the heater hose mod, and put a pair of Eibach pro kit springs up front, will it be a good setup? I'm worried about how it will handle and ride since the springs will be different, and I'm also worried the rake will be too much. I will be using a set of bilsteins on all 4 corners.

What do you guys think?
Id imagine that it would be pretty noticeable that you have stiffer lowering springs in the front and stock soft rate/height springs in the back. It should also give a huge rake unless your stock springs are sagging or something. But if thats the look you are going for then you might like it.

Originally Posted by iWon
Or what about keeping the stock shocks in the rear, since I will still be on stock springs, and doing the pro kit front springs w/ bilsteins?
Doesn't matter, stock decarbon shocks suck, period. The best thing you can do suspension wise is getting good shocks.

Would it just be a better idea to get all 4 bilsteins?
Yes, a way better idea.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

With bilsteins you do not want a high spring rate lowering spring. I really dont think you want to lose the travel with bilsteins. They are not made for this and you will wear them out. Cutting a coil/coil + half will only slightly raise the spring rate and it will ride a hell of a lot better than a lowering spring. Then do the Upper mount mod for regaining travel. I would start by cutting a coil off the front springs and hose mod in the rear. Ride on it for awhile and see if you like the height. Its cheaper and it rides better with the soft stock spring. Just my opinion based on alot of research Alot of people look down on cutting springs. I think it has a stigma attached to it, due in part to how some other automotive crowds abuse it. The people on here who have actually done it correctly have nothing but positive comments on it.

Last edited by drone; 08-20-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

i have exactly what you are talking about. springs in front, heater hose mod in back. when i installed the rear springs, the car handled like crap. the rear end "walked" around a lot and just didn't handle very well. I also think the rear end looks like it sits lower than the front with springs on the rear. i put the factory springs back on with the heater hose mod, and it handled much better and looked better (to me).
Old 08-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Banned

Very cool. I'm going to try this route first, Eibach pro kit in front, stock springs with heater hose mod in rear, and bilstein shocks on all 4 corners. Hopefully it will look / handle good!

Originally Posted by mf2kta
i have exactly what you are talking about. springs in front, heater hose mod in back. when i installed the rear springs, the car handled like crap. the rear end "walked" around a lot and just didn't handle very well. I also think the rear end looks like it sits lower than the front with springs on the rear. i put the factory springs back on with the heater hose mod, and it handled much better and looked better (to me).
Old 08-21-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Poor decision. That will not handle well at all. You would be better off keeping stock springs all around and getting Koni's. The front Koni has a lower spring perch option that allows you to lower the front about .5-.75 of an inch. Couple that with the hose mod in the rear and you have a car that sits a bit nicer than stock and because of the Konis handles like a comletely different car. The stock springs are not the problem point in the suspension on these cars, it's the poorly valved shocks.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Do the heater hose mod in the rear first with your new shocks and see how the car sits. Then you can decide on what to do with the front. Every car is different. My M6 car is perfect at stock height in front with the HH mod. My A4 is right with Koni's on the lower perch and the HH mod.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

Well I figured it might actually be a good compromise for traction as well (keep stock springs in the rear). It will achieve the look I'm going for, and I was thinking with the softer springs in the rear it might be better for launches. I might be wrong though. That's why I'm asking you fellas

I can always just put the full kit on, I just wanted to explore a few options to get the best outcome.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

You NEED to think about your suspension as one part. It is a system, everything effects something else. Miss matching springs is not a good idea as far as handling is concerned. Again the stock springs are not really a problem point on the car, it's the shocks. If you want the lowered look either do what I said or get a quality lowering spring set (the eibach kit is not a great option IMO). Also make sure you get a shock that is valved to deal with the decreased suspension travel and higher spring rates associated with lowering springs.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

-1" front and hose mod back looks pretty good. Lower
will in front make you look kinda jacked. This setup
handles fine, but lowering will not help your traction
at all, period.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mf2kta
Yes x 2, on a 2000 B4C and a 2002 Z28. The B4C had springs all around and felt like crap. I replaced the springs with stock springs and heater hose, and it feels so good not to be riding on bump stops! The Z28 has lowering springs in the front and didn't have anything but stock in the rear... HUGE rake with a 17/18 combo. Did the heater hose mod and it feels the same with a much more even appearance!

Heater hose mod

FWIW, the Z has KYB AGX up front and the B4C has Bilsteins up front and in the rear. If I picked a winner for ride comfort, it's the Z28 hands down...
Old 08-22-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

agx's might be best up front at least for the tunability, and therfore lasting longer than others, or all 4 corners with them for tunabiliy for that matter. bilsteins out back would work fine with the hose mod. if you have money for koni's, id start with a set of rears, i got sick of mine slamming all the time (on bmr springs) on the bumpstops...

btw springs should be on there way today
Old 08-22-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and yes lowering CAN help with traction, it will just take other supporting mods to have the suspension function as well as stock or better...

of course all that also depends on the handling vs. track build up plan for the car...
Old 08-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned

Thanks

Originally Posted by rabbit320
agx's might be best up front at least for the tunability, and therfore lasting longer than others, or all 4 corners with them for tunabiliy for that matter. bilsteins out back would work fine with the hose mod. if you have money for koni's, id start with a set of rears, i got sick of mine slamming all the time (on bmr springs) on the bumpstops...

btw springs should be on there way today

Quick Reply: Lowering the rear with the hose mod and front with Eibachs