Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New hardlines for MWC 9"

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New hardlines for MWC 9"

What are my options for building new hardlines for my 9" conversion. It's stock width but i'm not wanting to use the factory lines. Will i be able to buy pre flared lengths of hardline in about the right length and bend from there from a local auto parts store? Or do our cars use non-standard fittings and i'll need to flare the lines myself with the right fittings? Anyone do this before (care to share a parts list)? I've read that they are metric fittings/bubble flared, is it that way on both ends?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 08-20-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am not positive, but I do not think the pre-flared fittings used will be at the store. I know that they had none that worked for the front of the car when I went to teh BMR k-member.

I am in the market for a flaring tool myself.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by bpittman
What are my options for building new hardlines for my 9" conversion. It's stock width but i'm not wanting to use the factory lines. Will i be able to buy pre flared lengths of hardline in about the right length and bend from there from a local auto parts store? Or do our cars use non-standard fittings and i'll need to flare the lines myself with the right fittings? Anyone do this before (care to share a parts list)? I've read that they are metric fittings/bubble flared, is it that way on both ends?

You have the old axle out of the car? Take the hard lines off of it and go to an autoparts to store and get pre-flared lines. They should be plenty long enough to cover the modest distance. The longest pre-flared line I ever bought was 10'.

You can rent a line bender in most cases if you don't have one. Though you could also bend them by hand.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasnt a fan of bending my brake lines. I went to my local speciality shop "Rubber Specialities" Brought him my brake lines off the car told him what I wanted. a day later I had a custom length braided lines. Used the stock tabs and one zip tie.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
You have the old axle out of the car? Take the hard lines off of it and go to an autoparts to store and get pre-flared lines. They should be plenty long enough to cover the modest distance. The longest pre-flared line I ever bought was 10'.

You can rent a line bender in most cases if you don't have one. Though you could also bend them by hand.
I was planning on buying pre-flared tubing from the auto parts stores, but from reading it sounds like one end is bubble flared and the other is a regular double flare. Do they have that available at the autoparts store? My thoughts were to buy a length that is longer than i need with bubble flares on both ends, cut off one bubble flare and re-flare it with a double flare. This would get me the exact length i need and both flares of the correct type. Has anyone done this, and what size tubing is it (and am i correct about the different flare types on each end)?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2011, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

I did my own brake lines with double-flared ends. I don't remember anything about one end being different than the other, but I was merely splicing into the existing hardlines.

Check this thread regarding bubble flares: https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...lare-tool.html

Also, yes, they are metric lines.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

From looking at my new soft lines, they all look to be bubble flare, so pre flared may be an option. I'll probably also by a flaring tool so I can get the lengths just right.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Did a little shopping today, going to use 4 m10x1 to 3/16 adapters and use 3/16 tubing with double flares to re-run the lines.

Anyone know if there is a place to buy tubing with the spring shield on it (abrasion shield)?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I did the same as in that thread and used an advance auto double flare tool to create a bubble flare. Took a couple tries to get right, but got it and it worked just fine.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

I think I'm going to try to do the bubble flare with the double tool first. If that doesn't go well I'll be getting the adapters.

Quick Reply: New hardlines for MWC 9"