In a wreck...other driver had no insurance. Course of action?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In a wreck...other driver had no insurance. Course of action?

Here is the rundown:

Last week, my dad was involved in an accident with a person who had no insurance. The lady hit him, was clearly at fault and had no insurance. I haven't read the report yet so I'm not sure if she was cited, but I can't see how she wasn't cited.

My dad suffered a broken scapula, rib and had some other injuries. He is jacked up pretty good. He was in the hospital for 3 days. As far as I know he has uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance, as well as good medical insurance.

His vehicle is most likely a total loss.

Legally, does he have any course of action against the lady who hit him?

What should he do?
Old 08-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Teching In

i dont know the legality of it all but i hope your dad has a speedy recovery and i hope you take who ever hit him to court.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:08 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

You have no need to do anything. Your insurance company will take care of the other driver.

That is what uninsured motorist insurance is for.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:23 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your insurance company will handle EVERYTHING thru uninsured motorist at the claims level now. Go thank you insurance agent! Alot of ignorant drivers out there think they have this among other coverages because their agent said they are, "COVERED". Need to ask "COVERED" for what exactly before you give them $'s.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

In a wreck...other driver had no insurance. Course of action?
Kill "other driver".
Old 08-19-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ agreed
Old 08-19-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

ALL states need to ONLY issue a liscense plate upon proof of insurance.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
ALL states need to ONLY issue a liscense plate upon proof of insurance.
that is an excellent idea. I had never thought of that
Old 08-19-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the problem is people who pay for one month of liability insurance and get a card showing proof of coverage for 6mos or a year whether they pay or not... and use that to get registration, inspection, etc
Old 08-19-2011, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Your insurance company will do everything to include going after the lady to recoupe money they spend on your dad. More than likely, the other driver will have nothing of value and therefore won't be hassled.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Make sure you dad gets all the medical attention he needs now... One day the insurance company will ask you to sign a paper, basically stating "your ok now, you no longer need rehabilitation"... once you sign that paper, you can never go back and make another claim on that accident.

I.e. 5 years later your back hurts again and you need to go back to rehabilitation... that cost is now yours. Even though it is related to the accident.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Launching!

The uninsured motorist portion of your policy comes into effect along with any Personal Injury Protection benifits he is entitled to.

My advice is to seriously consider hiring a personal injury attorney to assist you with the claim. Even if it's your own insurance company, they will still try to get your father to release them of responsibility to cover his injuries for the lowest possible amount of money. With an attorney, you won't even have to deal with the insurance company which can be a hassle.

As another person said, make sure he gets ALL the treatment he needs. Any gaps in treatment will be used as an arguement against the amount he is able to recover.

On the total loss, make sure you are good with the offer they make. If needed search the market for significantly similar vehicles as a way to push them to increase an offer if needed.

Sorry to hear the other person caused the accident and was uninsured. But hey, at least your dad is covered under his own policy.

<---worked at a PI law firm for 10 years. (none of the above should be construed as legal advice.)
Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Teching In

i had to pay my 250 dollar deductible but my insurance sued the chic that hit me with no insurance and sent me a check back after they had it all settled.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

in tx you can also sue the lady as well as your insurance going after her
Old 08-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Banned

What was the car that your dad was driving?

Uninsured motorist coverage will help you, I hope your dad has it. Also, you can sue her.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Launching!

There dl if Tx issued will be suspended on his part if he is at fault. once the report is filed , the person at fault well be notified that he or she is at fault if at fault he or she is subject to a suspension of dl and the license will be suspended until the judgement is settled they will receive a notice advising his or her dl is suspended until the judgement i satisfied. and it can last 10 years and the state can prolong the suspension again so that the violators license stays suspended until the judgement is satisfied..
Old 08-26-2011, 06:59 AM

Oh that’s great! So it all worked. This is why I tell people that they must involve their car insurance companies. Firstly, you pay them every single month and secondly they have the resources, knowledge and training to deal with situations like this in the best way possible.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:30 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kennyxg
There dl if Tx issued will be suspended on his part if he is at fault. once the report is filed , the person at fault well be notified that he or she is at fault if at fault he or she is subject to a suspension of dl and the license will be suspended until the judgement is settled they will receive a notice advising his or her dl is suspended until the judgement i satisfied. and it can last 10 years and the state can prolong the suspension again so that the violators license stays suspended until the judgement is satisfied..
If she doesn't have Insurance I seriously doubt she gives 2 ***** if she looses her liscense.

I'm sorry to hear that happened, and hope your dad has a speedy recovery.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

UPDATE

Well, it has been confirmed, the lady who hit my pops had no insurance. She was issued 3 citations at the scene. Luckily, my dad carries uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on his policies through State Farm.

Looks like my dad has to have surgery sometime next week on his scapula. We'll see where it goes from here.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Dealing with uninsured motorists sucks, we've had to claim on outs twice in 4 years. The last time the cops didn't even really care that the chick wasn't insured.