Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost alternator on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost alternator on the freeway

Was entering the freeway and at about 5500RPM at WOT in 3rd gear, voltage drops from charging to non-charging.

Got to work and the belts are still on there. Is it possible I blew a fuse? Why would it go out at high RPM?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

iF i am not mistake when at high rpm it puts a lot of pressure on the alternator causing them to go out more often at high rpms. Dont take my word for it though!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I literally though of an alternator rolling around over the highway....the ****? LOL!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaman
I literally though of an alternator rolling around over the highway....the ****? LOL!
I did at first also lol
Old 08-19-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chaman

nice. no i did not physically lose it. lol. that would have been a mess
Old 08-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same at even lower rpm's, I was cruising behind a slow *** minivan around 65, dropped it into 4th to get by it and almost 10 min later my lights are mysteriously out. Ends up two of the 4 diodes took a dump, replaced it with nice 220 amp piece so all is good now. Heads up IF you do end up having to get a new alternator, when you're taking the old one out you're better off taking the entire bracket out at once cause it's a complete PITA to seperate the alternator from the bracket with it still bolted to the block. Oh and by careful with the idler on the bracket, I was careless with mine and it's whining like crazy now :/ sounds like a procharger though so I guess it's not THAT bad muhaha
Old 08-19-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tpooleATL
Mine did the same at even lower rpm's, I was cruising behind a slow *** minivan around 65, dropped it into 4th to get by it and almost 10 min later my lights are mysteriously out. Ends up two of the 4 diodes took a dump, replaced it with nice 220 amp piece so all is good now. Heads up IF you do end up having to get a new alternator, when you're taking the old one out you're better off taking the entire bracket out at once cause it's a complete PITA to seperate the alternator from the bracket with it still bolted to the block. Oh and by careful with the idler on the bracket, I was careless with mine and it's whining like crazy now :/ sounds like a procharger though so I guess it's not THAT bad muhaha

LOL tips on making my alternator sound like a procharger?

Im going to check for charge tonight if i make it home.

I heard removing the alt was easy, 3 15mm bolts and it comes out.

From my understanding:

1. disconnect batt
2. use wrench and push down on tensioner, remove belt
3. disconnect alternator
4. unbolt 3 15mm bolts on alternator - remove. transfer pulley to new alternator

does that sound right?
Old 08-19-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine used to drop voltage at high rpm as well. Turned out I had a bad excitor wire. They are available on ebay for pretty cheap and you splice it in. My problems were solved after I replaced mine. I guess the heat got to it or something.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-failures.html

stickees r ur friend
Old 08-19-2011, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont forget your exciter wire.............kinda hard to get to and if your not thinking about it you could pull the wire loose
Old 08-19-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bluehawk2
Dont forget your exciter wire.............kinda hard to get to and if your not thinking about it you could pull the wire loose
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Can you elaborate on the exciter wire? what is that? Is it possible that came lose or something?
Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's the plug that goes into the voltage regulator on the alternator. The wire becomes brittle with heat or in my case, the wire pulled away from the pin in the plug. Either way, buy a new one and splice it in. It's cheap and will likely fix your problem.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nik1703
LOL tips on making my alternator sound like a procharger?

Im going to check for charge tonight if i make it home.

I heard removing the alt was easy, 3 15mm bolts and it comes out.

From my understanding:

1. disconnect batt
2. use wrench and push down on tensioner, remove belt
3. disconnect alternator
4. unbolt 3 15mm bolts on alternator - remove. transfer pulley to new alternator

does that sound right?
Ha well it isn't exactly as loud as a procharger nor high pitched but its definitely noticable and kinda annoying actually ha, but yeah there will be three 15 mm bolts, 2 of them actually hold the alternator the block, the other is for the mounting bracket, then there is another bracket behind the alternator can't remember what size (13 mm I think). Since the bracket will still be on the alternator its pretty hard to get in and out, mine came out pretty easy by turning it 90 degress, getting it back in and past the sway bar was much more difficult for some reason but it eventually went in without having to move anything. If you get a beefier alternator you will have to upgrade your wires though (actually even if you put a stock one back in it'd still be a good idea to upgrade to atleast 2 gauge wires).
Old 08-23-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

well guys, got a reman alternator for 85$ with a lifetime warranty from a place called "rotex" in the LA area. they also do starters and generators. great place for anyone local. the new one came with a pulley, so no need to remove the old pulley. put it in and now it's running a good 1.5 volts higher. with the old alternator it was only running 13 volts at all times. install took about 15 minutes!

only thing that might hold someone up on this, is trying to remove the plug to the exciter wire. the quickest way seems to be, have a spotter with a flashlight up top looking down on the top of the alternator, and you underneath with a small flathead, while the spotter guides you~