Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

replaced 10 bolt now have faint whine and no abs

Old 08-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced 10 bolt now have faint whine and no abs

ok so my last 10 bolt had a 373 in it and it was whining bad and started growling. think the pinion nut came loose and crap. i dont know anything about how to set them up, so i just got a new used one and threw the whole thing in. its a 3.73. now there is a pretty faint whine around 40-60 mph. not nearly as loud as before. and no growling. any idea what that is or how to make it go away? of if i should bother at all with it. apparently it's richmond gears and they are supposed to be a 'little' whiny. so should i try to screw with it more or just leave it alone? before i put the new one in, i noticed the pinion nut was loose. so i tightened it mostly by hand with a socket wrench and then a couple whacks with the impact gun till i felt like it was snug, but not too snug where i would put too much pressure on the bearings or gears or anything. they seemed to move pretty freely and quietly. so any idea about the whine?

second question is there is no abs sensor ring on the diff. the sensor is there, but nothing for it to read. any way i can trick it into working? or at least permanently turn it off? i have a tuner and i can clear the code, but it's just going to come back on.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dont mess with them, if you tried to reset the gear pattern chances are you will make it whine even more. The gears are broken in now and ride on a certain pattern disturbing that pattern will probably induce more whine.

As long as the sound isnt insanely loud its not hurting anything anyway aftermarket gears tend to be noisy because they are cur on a harder metal which increases noise but improves strength.

I'm afraid if you want dead silent gears you would need to get a new set of GM 3.73 gears and have them installed by someone you trust to do rear ends.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't mind not having ABS, pull the bulb from the instrument cluster. Otherwise, you need the reluctor ring for the ABS to work.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Teching In

yeah i think i will just do that. its a heck of a lot easier than ripping into the rear again just to put the reluctor ring in. although.... no nevermind.. i just had a crazy thought of cutting the reluctor ring in half and welding it into the new rear. but nah. yeah im just guna pull the bulb.

Search this Thread