Sponsored by:

fuel lines newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel lines newbie questions

Hello again,

So after reading during the whole week about fuel line fitting and all that it still isn<t very clear for me the way i should proceed with this. Your opinions are again much appreciated and needed!

So once again my project is to put a 4.8 Vortec into a 1987 Cadillac brougham which used a carb. From what my GM repair manual says the fuel pressure was about 6 PSI.

I have a tank from a 1996 Fleetwood brougham that I will be using with the stock pump for now. I know in some cases it might work, others it might not be enough. If I have problems I will switch to a Walboro or to a 1999 Silverado pump if it really fits.

1) What is the pressure in the return line? I know it is lower than the one in the feed line which is 50-60 PSI. I was wondering if it's below 10 PSI on the return line so I can get away with a hose and clamp.

2) I am including a pic of the feed pipe to show what kind of flares the stock pipe has. There is a flare on the end and some kind of falre that looks like those used for the GM quick-disconnects. But it is not as big. Are there any connectors or fittings that can fit my fuel pipe without modifications and that can take the 60 PSI? I don<t think so but maybe you guys have some tricks. If not I was thinking of doing a double flare and use regular fuel line screw fittings. I don<t have a AN flaring tool and neither a GM flares hydraulic tool. What is your opinion?

3) I will delete the EVAP stuff from the PCM. Do I need in that case to use a charcoal cansiter and run the line from the sending unit to the canister anyways?
Or do I just plug the line from the sending unit? What did you guys use to plug it?

Here's a pic of my stock charcoal canister. If i were to use it the rubber line comes from the tank and where does the second one go? I am guessing to the EVAP solenoid that is behind the throttle body? Or the line from the tank goes straight to that solenoid. Anyways I removed the solenoid because it was hitting the hood.

Thanks guys for your help
Old 08-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

#1: I don't know what the pressure is, but a hose clamp will hold it no problem.

#2: Not that I know of, but you could always use the fuel injection rated hose and the fuel injection hose clamps. A lot of people will tell you they won't work, but they do. I've been rnning them on another swap of mine for 2+ years with no problems at all. Double flare will also work.

#3: I would junk it if you don't have smog requirements to meet. You may need to vent your tank somehow afterwards though. Hopefully someone else can answer that one.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Thanks for answering!
I don't have smog requirements to meet so I can junk it. We'll see about venting the tank. Maybe someone else will share their experience.

As for the feed line I think I will use some fittings just for the peace of mind. Otherwise every time I drive the car it will be on the back of my mind. It will probably be a pain to remove the fuel pipe to flare it though. I wanted to avoid doing that if possible.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

The pressure in the return line will be the same as in the feed line.

Andrew
Old 08-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Launching!

really, Hmmm. I thought it would be lower. Maybe the volume is smaller then, hence the smaller line!

Thanks

Quick Reply: fuel lines newbie questions