Frame shop owner? Deployed service member needs your help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Frame shop owner? Deployed service member needs your help.

So lets get right to it. I am deployed to Iraq and have been away from home for 10 months and getting close to coming home. I've been without an f-body for a while and recently thought I found an awesome deal on a 98 Z.

I worked with the seller who lied about the condition of the car and sold me a car with a missing freeze plug, ruined clutch, and improperly assembled T56. $1900 later the transmission is working and setup great! Jason at TDP really took care of the car. Well during the repair he found some frame damage. The panels on the car line up from the outside but when you lift the hood, the lid is off by about an inch from lining up with the motor. If you really look at the engine, it looks like the engine isn't lined up, but everything else bolts up fine and there are no real issues with the body from the outside.

Here is what I'm looking for. I need someone to look at the car and tell me what the flip is up with it. I think it could be as simple as the k member being bent. I'm not a body work kind of guy. I'm deployed with a baby due in November and a lot of the cash I really need to be saving is going into fixing these issues. I can't give up on the car now but I dont want to spend another $2000 if you catch my drift. Anyone out there can lend a hand? I can't take another $2000 beating with this thing.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pm sent
Old 08-21-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey bud, sorry about the bad deal you got. When I noticed the engine not lining up I began to inspect the car and found those problems. I don't believe it's the k member since it had marking on it from a salvage yard. Re passenger side brake line was rePlaced with an aftermarket hard line and was just zip ties together. I have some pics I took that I will post up if you are interested or I can send them to you.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post them up. I've got it going on the frame machine to check measurements.