Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Hate to do this but... "which one?"

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hate to do this but... "which one?"

Ok still a newbie here didn see in the sticky or search a post that had info i wanted.. This is for my GMC Sierra completely stock LM7 5.3 with a cat back Magnaflow exhaust.. I dont want to get too crazy with this one but with the 6'' Lift and 35s i hate hitting a hill at 75 and toppin out at 55 because I dont want to lose overdrive.. So which supercharger kit? I have looked online everywhere at reviews etc... Some of the install pics of the Pro Charger kits look pretty sketchy, (worm clamps on aftercooler clamps etc.) But seem to have high customer satisfaction.. Cant find much info on the Vortec ot Magnacharger.. I kinda dont want to get too in depth and swap to a TVS.. also dont like the idea of a seperate tank and cooling system.. Im leanings to Pro Chargers ps1c or ds1 but have a hard time finding a retailer. I dont want to spend 5 grand and another grand in fuel to drive cross country to NC just to have them install it thats pretty ridiculous.. I can find used units in various places but again worried about reliability.. How do they last? Oil changes every time engine oil changes.. What kind of life do they get and how long on belts... I think 6psi will support my needs just fine and again dont want to go deeper in this engine, no headers no cam etc... It dies ill build a stroker Open to opinions and insights.. Bash away
Old 08-21-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would get a magnacharger hands down for a truck. They create massive amounts of low end torque to get a heavy truck moving. Prochargers are pretty reliable units and make awesome power but the low end is not as good as a magnacharger. Talk to Bob@brutespeed he is our Procharger dealer here at tech.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Awesome much appreciated thats what im looking for but im still not the biggest fan of an electric pump and separate cooling system... seems like alot to go wrong.. and the tuning on magnachargers website shows just a superchips micro tuner, Is that capable to tune everything needed? Sorry im a Diesel guy as far as computers for Cat. Im new to electronics on gas engines... Worked on them but not much on upgrading and tuning... I just did a hypertec programmer for the 383 i did in my 97 Z71 so tuning is a whole new world to me.. Any compliments to the Magnacharger system? Any horror stories for the intercooler? And howbout oiling system of these? Thanks Again
Old 08-21-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes maggie for torque, or the truck guys use the radix brand (basically same thing). Used units in the mp112 size will hit your goals all day, and you can find them floating around pretty cheap ($3-4k). Turbo would also work well for torque but the install will be much more of a pain. Procharger or vortec (centrifugals) wont work too well for what you are describing.
No matter what you go with you have to plumb something, either oil or water or both. Maggie mp112 units are available with or without intercooler, get it "with" if you can. Also tuning for these vehicles is relatively easy, any shop nearby with efilive or ls1edit or hptuners can fix you up.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 186 Likes on 111 Posts

Yes, you want a Maggie. Go the performancetruck.net (sister site to this one) and do a little research. Boost available just over idle makes a 2.5 ton truck feel a whole lot lighter. Centrifugal won't do that. Properly sized turbo might be OK, but the Maggie is a slam dunk winner on a heavy truck. Works pretty well on a lite vette too

I'd recommend a TVS1900 if you have the funds. It will have lower IAT's than the earlier MP112 and MP122 units. If you buy new, it will come with a tune too. It will do your 6psi easily and a whole lot more if you decide to go a little apeshit....
Old 08-21-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you could put gears in the front & rear diff's to save thousands of dollars.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Well looks like ive had my mind changed for me looks like magnacharger it is, Guess ill have to live with the seperate coolin system lol... I looked through the install instructions they have on their site and it shows nothing at all for an oiling system..? Are they a self contained unit? Looks like the tuning is simple enough with what they supply and it would be a little easier to drop a little more $ on something as nice as what im seeing.. I like centrifugals but they seem way overpriced... So TVS1900? Would that support a 6.0 Stroker later on "just in case" that is if this truck holds up as well as my 97 and i like it as much..

"Or you could put gears in the front & rear diff's to save thousands of dollars."

I could do that as well but... na lol what fun is that? I could just drive around in 3rd gear all the time to lol jk
Old 08-21-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 186 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 69SYC
Well looks like ive had my mind changed for me looks like magnacharger it is, Guess ill have to live with the seperate coolin system lol... I looked through the install instructions they have on their site and it shows nothing at all for an oiling system..? Are they a self contained unit? Looks like the tuning is simple enough with what they supply and it would be a little easier to drop a little more $ on something as nice as what im seeing.. I like centrifugals but they seem way overpriced... So TVS1900? Would that support a 6.0 Stroker later on "just in case" that is if this truck holds up as well as my 97 and i like it as much..

"Or you could put gears in the front & rear diff's to save thousands of dollars."

I could do that as well but... na lol what fun is that? I could just drive around in 3rd gear all the time to lol jk
A centri is going to have an air/air aftercooler as well. I think the Maggie is a cleaner and more reliable install. The maggie's oiling system is self contained and good for 100K miles. If you're talking about stroking the 5.3L, you should be OK with the 1900. If you're wanting to supply enough air for a 400+ cubic inch stroked 6.0L, you should start with the TVS2300.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

I don't mean to patronize if that's how it sounds, but this is if you don't already know.

When you put large tires on your vehicle and don't change the gears it will make it a slug. If you do change the gears, you can regain your original final drive ratio and the truck will feel like it did stock. All it really takes to wake up a 5.3/auto truck is a set of gears, some longtubes, the exhaust you already have, and a tune. Torque management on those trucks is fagtastic from the factory and the stock Y pipe is a restrictive piece of junk.

Now if you did all of the above AND the blower, that would be one bad mother trucker. Just get ready to build your transmission and get a new converter too. The 4l60 will croak with a quickness on a truck pushing 400+ horsepower.

My Duramax makes nearly 900 ft/lbs through 40" tires and it was still a slug with the stock gears in it. 4.88s made a world of difference.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:47 AM
Teching In

Gearing gearing gearing lol had to calculate more damn gear ratios in tech school than anyone should, Planetaries in transmissions, Cat powershift, Direct drive, Finals, Torque dividers etc... Not to mention Truck differenials plus my own stuff lol i swapped 4:10s into my Cummins and added a Gear Vendor OD because 90% of the time its in front of a gooseneck.. I want to keep the high ratio in this truck for on highway mileage im goin to drop back to 33s on it which is not huge over stock, not enough to do a gear change IMHO.. The 4L60 does not like any power thrown at it without upgrades lol in my sig that 97 I had went through several for that reason and an idiot D/A sanded the separator plate allowing passages to cross ... Very good point on gearing tho and it would be a much simpler cheaper fix but always we need more
Old 08-22-2011, 03:32 AM
TECH Resident

You should post up a thread in the section for your vortec 383. My bro has a truck with a tired old 5.0 and I'd be pretty interested to see how you did yours.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok still a newbie here didn see in the sticky or search a post that had info i wanted.. This is for my GMC Sierra completely stock LM7 5.3 with a cat back Magnaflow exhaust.. I dont want to get too crazy with this one but with the 6'' Lift and 35s i hate hitting a hill at 75 and toppin out at 55 because I dont want to lose overdrive.. So which supercharger kit? I have looked online everywhere at reviews etc... Some of the install pics of the Pro Charger kits look pretty sketchy, (worm clamps on aftercooler clamps etc.) But seem to have high customer satisfaction.. Cant find much info on the Vortec ot Magnacharger.. I kinda dont want to get too in depth and swap to a TVS.. also dont like the idea of a seperate tank and cooling system.. Im leanings to Pro Chargers ps1c or ds1 but have a hard time finding a retailer. I dont want to spend 5 grand and another grand in fuel to drive cross country to NC just to have them install it thats pretty ridiculous.. I can find used units in various places but again worried about reliability.. How do they last? Oil changes every time engine oil changes.. What kind of life do they get and how long on belts... I think 6psi will support my needs just fine and again dont want to go deeper in this engine, no headers no cam etc... It dies ill build a stroker Open to opinions and insights.. Bash away
I wouldn't write off the ProCharger, take a look at the info at this link.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GI21...1GI212-SCI.htm

I have sold a lot of ProChargers to truck owners who have been very happy with them. If you want to see a copy of the installation instructions, send me an e-mail to brutespeed@gmail.com and I'll e-mail them to you. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-22-2011, 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with a vendor from the site so you have great support if you need it. Nothing is more important than customer support and race day support IMO when it comes to fast cars.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Awesome help so far thanks guys much appreciated still open to suggestions Bob my email is JLDees79@yahoo.com that would be much appreciated id like to look at the intercooler and mounting setup, I know the procharger is a lot easier install but im starting to drool on the Magnacharger more and more.. Anyone know a good sponser on here who deals in Radix/Magnicharger?

"You should post up a thread in the section for your vortec 383. My bro has a truck with a tired old 5.0 and I'd be pretty interested to see how you did yours. "

Will do gotta do some diggin and remember what all i did... Where should i post it? LT1-4, SBC BBC section or just jack the thread here for a bit? Thanks Again, Josh
Old 08-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a problem with a centri setup is that you basically have to go nearly WOT for the BPV to close, and at that point you will downshift.

I think a roots blower setup or a turbo setup would be the best.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

You could prob post it in the SBC section.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've had them all... Just switched from a Kenne Bell superchager back to turbo (I like to play with all types of FI). For what you want, I'd do the TVS1900. Check out performancetrucks.net. VERY good forced induction section with a lot of guys running TVS's, Turbos (my fav ) and centrificals on trucks just like yours. Don't sweet the liquid to air intercooler setup on the TVS. It's very reliable and even if the pump did fail, the truck will still run and drive just fine, you just won't get the intercooling affect of it. You will LOVE the instant torque of a positive displacement blower like the TVS. Feels like you have a big block under the hood. Boost is instant, no lag like a turbo and no need for a high stall like a Procharger to get the boost. It's right now! Probably the thing I liked and miss the most about my KB. But I DD it on 13 psi and swapped pulleys to get 17psi at the track!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slow67
I think a problem with a centri setup is that you basically have to go nearly WOT for the BPV to close, and at that point you will downshift.

I think a roots blower setup or a turbo setup would be the best.
Im thinkin that as well and no offense to anyone who uses them or loves the centrifugals but IMHO the aftercooler setup is cheasy at best... there cant be hardly any airflow mounted flat underneath..... plus the 1'' mudflap to direct air into it? If i could piece my own kit together with a real aftercooler in front of the radiator and do it reasonable Id think about it, Thanks Bob for the email. And thanks to everyone here very very helpful thus far... Any sponsors on here that deal in Radix/Maggies?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Im thinkin that as well and no offense to anyone who uses them or loves the centrifugals but IMHO the aftercooler setup is cheasy at best... there cant be hardly any airflow mounted flat underneath..... plus the 1'' mudflap to direct air into it? If i could piece my own kit together with a real aftercooler in front of the radiator and do it reasonable Id think about it, Thanks Bob for the email. And thanks to everyone here very very helpful thus far... Any sponsors on here that deal in Radix/Maggies?
You're welcome for the e-mail. Those intercoolers actually work out very well, same basic set-up that is used on the LT1/LS1 F Body and the C5 Corvette. The twin intercoolers work well up through 12-14 psi of boost, and they don't hinder airflow to the radiator. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by El_Diablo
You should post up a thread in the section for your vortec 383. My bro has a truck with a tired old 5.0 and I'd be pretty interested to see how you did yours.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo...l#post15302933

5.7 blocks are pretty reasonable which your goin to need the 5.0 is a 3.74 bore and 3.48 stroke the 5.7 is a 4" bore and 3.48 stroke... But there ya go

Quick Reply: Hate to do this but... "which one?"