Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear caliper rebuild questions for 4th gen fbody

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear caliper rebuild questions for 4th gen fbody

Ok, here's the deal. I sent my calipers to have them powdercoated a while back, and the guy had to completely tear them down to do it. Well, the guy didn't put them back together, and I picked them up that way (stupid on my part, lesson learned) and I'm having all kinds of grief getting them back together.

The fronts are done, but I'm having issues with the rears, and I'm wondering if anybody can help me on this. It seems that I might have some kind of one year rear calipers or something, and I'm having a hard time getting a rebuild kit for them. I've tried the dealer, the auto parts, everything, and nobody can help me, but of course most of these jokers working the parts counters these days are exactly that - a joke.

The rebuild kit that everybody carries is the same for the front and the back. I have another set of stock rear calipers that takes that rebuild kit, but I really want to find the one for these so I don't have to pay to get another set powdercoated if I can get out of it.

If you take a look at the 2 pictures below, the powdercoated caliper has a larger groove where the dust boot seats that comes out closer to the edge of the caliper than the non-powdercoated one, as you can see in the pics:

They also have different casting numbers stamped on them as well, not sure if that helps or not:

K242-011C on the one I had powdercoated

K242-113C on the non powdercoated one

Any help would be appreciated guys. I thought I might have heard somewhere that the C5's had the same rear calipers as fbodies, but I haven't looked into that yet. Maybe I have C5 rear calipers? I don't know, but it's driving me crazy, and it's holding me up from putting my car back together, lol. Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

The one you have powder coated is from a C5. The other one is an F-body caliper, the same as the ones I have k242-113C. Some one probably replaced them with C5's on the rear.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

I can't view your photos at work (blocked), but C5 and F-Body calipers are identical in size, but the pistons are different sizes. Apparently that is where your issue lies.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Ok, thanks for the help guys! Going to try out the C5 caliper rebuild kit and hope it works

Quick Reply: Rear caliper rebuild questions for 4th gen fbody