Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Selection

Old 03-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Header Selection

Hi,

I have just purchased a stock 01 SS Camaro and want to make some modifications to the car. I want to start by adding a set of headers and a cat back. I decided on the GMMG cat back and need to make a decision on the headers, Which headers will give me the greatest boost in HP and still allow me to pass the smog test here is CA? I have heard that long tubes genreally have clearance problems and that shorty headers are the way to go.

Future mods are for the intake side of things - either a supercharger or different intake and throttle body etc.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2004, 12:22 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will still recomend a LT over the shorties. If you were going to stay with the shorties Id just keep your manifolds. JMO. I like the Jet Hots but I am not sure there cats will pass emissions though I'm pretty sure FLP will not 100%. might check out the Mac Mid-lengths? I see they mover your other post over here also. LOL!
Old 03-04-2004, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Hey ssGirl,

I love my PPC long tubes. Any of the Groty degin headers will not have a clearance issue (PPC, Kooks, QTEC, & I believe FLP) I picked up over 30 rwhp with a catted y-pipe. Over 20 is common. I cannot tell you for sure about the Cali-smog rules. Up here in Washington they just plug into our OBDII port. No codes = pass. The cats SHOULD allow the car to pass, but there is a rule about replacing them under 50k miles.

I think a lot of people go the shorty route in Cal for that reason. But you will only see about 10hp from them. Random Tech makes hi-flow cats & y-pipe that are direct OEM replacements, but again will this pass the 50k rule. I dunno....

I too am contemplating a S/C. I am in the process of installing an LSX intake - gotta paint it first, and then I'll decide what is next. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ive heard nothing but good things about pacesetter lt's. My friend just put his on and has no clearance problems at all.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:57 PM
Teching In

They are fairly strict here in Ca. when it comes to emissions testing. It is illegal to relocate the cats. from the stock location. That's why some people install shorties. As stated above, you won't see much of a gain with shorties. Long tubes will provide the most power but you'll run the risk of failing inspection even if you have cats. installed. I think it all depends on the shop. Some will overlook it because they are ignorant and some won't.

I have Pacesetter LT's and I like them a lot. They are also the best bang for the buck.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Launching!

from what I hear if you are not going to put long tubes on just stick with a cat back and spend the extra dough for headers on something else.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dropkick
They are fairly strict here in Ca. when it comes to emissions testing. It is illegal to relocate the cats. from the stock location. That's why some people install shorties. As stated above, you won't see much of a gain with shorties. Long tubes will provide the most power but you'll run the risk of failing inspection even if you have cats. installed. I think it all depends on the shop. Some will overlook it because they are ignorant and some won't.

I have Pacesetter LT's and I like them a lot. They are also the best bang for the buck.
i agree.

try and find a "friendly" shop
Old 03-04-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

You cant pass the smog test in cali with anything but shorties. LTs are all a matter of looks and price.They all perform around the sam. Jet hots are what i would suggest. You will have to swap them out for the test though. Macs are faster to swap than LT's. Shorties really are not worth the time.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:49 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

read the sticky at the top of the page
Old 03-04-2004, 06:07 PM
11 Second Club

I would recommend the QTP headers over any other header out there.... Stainless steel is the way to go ... no rusting issues, clearance issues, and QTP has nice High velocity Merge Collectors that yield more power than the regular long tubes...
and you should throw a QTEC cutout there too.. i love the way you can make your car quiet or loud by the flip of a switch..
Old 03-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

I'm surprised no one mentioned Hooker or Flowtech...both great headers with great gains
Old 03-05-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

ssgirl.....

The biggest issue for you in CA is (as was mentioned a few replies back...) that you MUST have parts that carry a C.A.R.B. (California Air Resource Board) certificate. LTs will NEVER get a certificate since they move the cats from their original location.

Unless you can find an inspection station that will look the other way.... unfortunately, you can not install ANY LT system.

Gordon
PPC
www.provenperformanceconcepts.com

Search this Thread