shipping engine/trans

Old 08-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shipping engine/trans

Hey anybody ever shipped an engine that can tell me how to go about it? I need to ship an LS1 and possibly a t56 with it (attached most likely). I figure it's gotta be crated, but who does the crating? Do I build my own wooden box around it or does it have to be done by a shipping company? Do I drop my wooden creation off at a doorstep, or does someone come and pick it up? Does it have to wrapped in plastic? Does it have to be full of absorbent? How much does it cost (possible shipping to Ohio, or South Dakota, or Canada, or California) ?

If anybody's been down this road and can give me some pointers I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a wooden pallet that I modified and some industrial plastic wrap when I shipped my 331. Forward air had the best price. I was around 160. From Houston to jersey
Old 08-23-2011, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tuna10985
Hey anybody ever shipped an engine that can tell me how to go about it? I need to ship an LS1 and possibly a t56 with it (attached most likely). I figure it's gotta be crated, but who does the crating? Do I build my own wooden box around it or does it have to be done by a shipping company? Do I drop my wooden creation off at a doorstep, or does someone come and pick it up? Does it have to wrapped in plastic? Does it have to be full of absorbent? How much does it cost (possible shipping to Ohio, or South Dakota, or Canada, or California) ?

If anybody's been down this road and can give me some pointers I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Depends on what kind of condition you want it to be in when it arrives. Make sure to use heavy duty pallets. If you are shipping engine and transmission this will require two pallets joined together. Build a base for the engine to sit centered on and use ratchet straps to secure it to the pallet. Make sure you drain all the fluid from the motor and transmission. Use a few latex gloves and rubber bands to put over the tail shaft of the transmission to keep any left over fluid from dripping out. Cheapest shipping rate will be to drop it off at origin shipping station and have the consignee pick it up at destination facility.

Search this Thread