Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

LS2 potential?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS2 potential?

I have been tossing around the idea of selling my Camaro and getting a C6. I love the LS3 engine and would like to get a 08+ C6 but my sister has an 07 that I could buy it from her for a good deal. My question is what 1/4 mile times and I looking at with bolt-on's, cam and bolt-on's or bolt-on's + 150 shot compared to an LS3. Both would be A6 with a converter.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will always be about 30 hp behind an LS3 with same bolt-ons. Possibly more with an aftermarket cam. The LS3 heads and intake have more potential than LS2.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

I say go for the vette. LS2 has plenty of potential. I know of many over 600rwhp with stock longblock (FI). If price isnt a factor go for the 30 extra hp. But if its a way better deal then grab the LS2 and just throw one more little mod on it and be good to go.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LS2's internals aren't as strong as the LS3s. The LS2 isn't really any better than having an LS6 unless you change the heads and intake manifold. The extra 0.3 liters does NOTHING for that motor. If you upgrade the heads to LS3 heads, change the cam to a 224R cam or bigger, put a FAST or LS6 intake on, and do the normal bolt-ons, you're going to be in the 420-430RWHP range. With a good tune, maybe more. Personally, I wouldn't touch an LS2 car. My C5Z runs rings around them. If I'm going to buy a C6, it would have to be a GS. The C6s have such a numb feeling to them to begin with.

LS3s are a better platform to start with anyway. Better electronics, more displacement, better heads, better intake, and dry-sump is available (which Gen IV LS motors really need if you plan to road race).
Old 08-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
The LS2's internals aren't as strong as the LS3s. The LS2 isn't really any better than having an LS6 unless you change the heads and intake manifold. The extra 0.3 liters does NOTHING for that motor. If you upgrade the heads to LS3 heads, change the cam to a 224R cam or bigger, put a FAST or LS6 intake on, and do the normal bolt-ons, you're going to be in the 420-430RWHP range. With a good tune, maybe more. Personally, I wouldn't touch an LS2 car. My C5Z runs rings around them. If I'm going to buy a C6, it would have to be a GS. The C6s have such a numb feeling to them to begin with.

LS3s are a better platform to start with anyway. Better electronics, more displacement, better heads, better intake, and dry-sump is available (which Gen IV LS motors really need if you plan to road race).
Do not listen to this! Dude please do not take this the wrong way, but your info is ambiguous. first of all you cannot go wrong with which ever car you decide on. I had a 2003 C5 Zo6 that was a monster! 11.9s @116 all day with BFGs only. However, When I bought my C6 LS2 M6 it was so much nicer. Yes it was slower, but headers, cai, 102 fast and tune and my LS2 turned into a 2nd monster. With run flats I ran 12.2s @118. The mph dictates how much power I was making. I had a LS2 GTO with cam and other supporting mods and that heavy car ran 12.1s @115 with drag radials. There are plenty of LS2s making plenty of power and dipping into the mid 11s with bolt-ons. go to corvettefourm.com and look up C6s 1/4 times. I just purchased an 08 LS3 A6. tranferred my headers from my LS2 and had it tuned. Last night I ran 12.0s @120!! A stalled LS2 with a cam will probably et mid 11s with 120-125 mph. Depending on weather, sea level and all that good stuff. Yes heads are better on a LS3, plus its a 6.2, but lets not forget that there are plenty fast bolt on LS2s running the streets and from 05-07, they were considered great power plants. I suggest you buy a Fast 102 intake if you decide to purchase your sister's car. If it is a 3lt, heads up, etc, then jump on it. great resale value. Is it equiped with 2.73s, or 2.56s? If you are getting a good deal jump on it!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Not trying to be a smartass or anything but, isn't an LS2 intake manifold bigger and better than an LS6 intake manifold? I know the LS2's are 90 mm. I thought. I just thought that manifold would be more beneficial than a LS6?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by big r
Do not listen to this! Dude please do not take this the wrong way, but your info is ambiguous. first of all you cannot go wrong with which ever car you decide on. I had a 2003 C5 Zo6 that was a monster! 11.9s @116 all day with BFGs only. However, When I bought my C6 LS2 M6 it was so much nicer. Yes it was slower, but headers, cai, 102 fast and tune and my LS2 turned into a 2nd monster. With run flats I ran 12.2s @118. The mph dictates how much power I was making. I had a LS2 GTO with cam and other supporting mods and that heavy car ran 12.1s @115 with drag radials. There are plenty of LS2s making plenty of power and dipping into the mid 11s with bolt-ons. go to corvettefourm.com and look up C6s 1/4 times. I just purchased an 08 LS3 A6. tranferred my headers from my LS2 and had it tuned. Last night I ran 12.0s @120!! A stalled LS2 with a cam will probably et mid 11s with 120-125 mph. Depending on weather, sea level and all that good stuff. Yes heads are better on a LS3, plus its a 6.2, but lets not forget that there are plenty fast bolt on LS2s running the streets and from 05-07, they were considered great power plants. I suggest you buy a Fast 102 intake if you decide to purchase your sister's car. If it is a 3lt, heads up, etc, then jump on it. great resale value. Is it equiped with 2.73s, or 2.56s? If you are getting a good deal jump on it!
That is very possible but it would need a little more than a cam, stall, and headers IMO for an average driver to get those ET's and MPH. LS1/LS2/LS6 power potential are in the same ballpark. I had an LS3 SS and I was not impressed at all even with cam/head swaps. They are dyno queens but the proof is in the pudding when it comes to the track. Ive seen them putting down 530 wheel and get it to the track and its cutting 11.70's @ 119 (CAMARO) not Vette. Get out of your Camaro and move up the ladder. You will be glad you did. The Camaro seriously needs a facelift from GM the next generation. -400 lbs and it would move out so much better. LS2 Vette> 5th Gen. IMO you should look at a C5Z instead of the LS2. Persoanlly I like the C5Z over the LS3 vette although the LS3 has more potential. WHatver your preference. Go to CF and search. There have been alot of gremlins in the older LS2 vettes.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

Dan I think if you plan to mod anyway you really can't go wrong with either route.

results are going to vary as for track results and HP/TQ depending on specific mods obviously, but in the end yes 30ish rwhp is about right for the LS2 v's LS3

if I was in the market for a C6 probably go LS2 to save some coin and do a cam, headers, fuel pump / injectors and an A&A or ECS kit for a solid 600 rwhp setup
Old 08-26-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by big r
LOL... STOCK C5Zs made it into the 11s. Your argument is moot. Put a large enough cam in anything and it will be fast. But if you want a Corvette and not a drag car that idles like it's about to shut off, the LS2 isn't the best motor to start with, IMHO. If you can afford a C5Z or an LS2, you're better off with the C5Z. Same mods on both cars puts the C5Z ahead. The 0.3L of displacement are negligible. Stock, the LS2 comes with a crappy cam and a crappier intake manifold. You spend the EXACT same money on both cars and you have more potential from the C5Z. Why? Because it's lighter, geared better, has a better intake and cam from the get-go, and after purchase you have more money left over for more mods.

Originally Posted by z28MP
Not trying to be a smartass or anything but, isn't an LS2 intake manifold bigger and better than an LS6 intake manifold? I know the LS2's are 90 mm. I thought. I just thought that manifold would be more beneficial than a LS6?
No. The LS2 intake manifold is the worst intake mistake since the Crossfire in 84. Bigger isn't necessarily better. Flow tests have confirmed that the LS2 with the 90mm throttle body flow more than 15HP less than the stock LS6 manifold with the stock 78mm throttle body on an LS2.

If you put an LS6 manifold and throttle body (with adapter for the TB harness) on a bone stock LS2, you'll see nearly 15HP at the wheels.

The LS2 was a rushed product. The results show this well. The 385BHP (rated) LS6 makes slightly more power and a little less torque than the LS2. The cam in the 2001 LS6 is actually more aggressive than the LS2's cam. The LS2 makes more torque due to its displacement.

Guys, if you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

While I agree the C6 is a nice car, I won't agree that mod-for-mod the LS2 is a better motor than the LS6. The major benefit to the LS2 is that you can use LS3/L92 heads with no problems because it has a 4" bore. But if you're not going to change the heads on either motor, the C5Z is better - especially for the money.

HOWEVER, if you're changing the heads on the car and you don't care about the numb feeling you get driving a C6, then you can't go wrong with either car. Some things are undeniable. A C5 and C6 cars are great cars, in my opinion. But I personally wouldn't buy a C6 coupe/vert after owning 2 C5Zs and driving a couple C6 coupes. I don't feel as connected with the road in a C6. I haven't driven a C6Z yet, so I cannot say anything about that.

Of course, if you're drag racing the car the numbness doesn't matter I guess. Seems so many people in here are so obsessed with 1/4 mile times. Even still, the C5Z is better for that due to its weight. A C5Z weighs 200Lbs less than a C6 coupe. But I don't know what I'm talking about so don't listen to me.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Cool bro thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:56 PM
c6r
On The Tree

you do have a point...but an ls-2 can run hard and make great power also, I'm at 491rwhp and 428ft with some cheap *** patriot 243's that i cleaned up, dynoed at G-force motorsports...fast 92mm intake cam etc...
Old 08-28-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nobody's saying an LS2 can't run hard. An LS2 will make power just like any LS motor. I know the OP was asking about the LS2. But if the car isn't purchased yet, I think it's either better to spend the extra $5K for an 08+, or spend less money up front and buy a C5Z.

If the OP wants a C6 and can only afford the 06+ (I exclude the 05), then it's still not a bad investment and will still be a fun car. And like it's been mentioned, you really can't go wrong (unless you buy an 05. LOL).

On a side note, my C5Z is in the shop for some fab work. I drove my dad's stock 03 Vert today 200+ miles. It's amazing what kind of difference there is between the base/vert and the Z06. Suspension, steering, clutch and power. It's like driving a completely different type of car. If I were coming from a C5 base or vert, going to an LS2 C6 would be a fantastic upgrade. I really feel that the C6 is indeed a better car in some respects. While I like the looks of the C5Z more than the base C6, the feeling of the C6 base is still far more comfortable than the C5 base and therefore, I would upgrade from a C5 base to a C6 base, but not from the C5Z to the C6 base.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 PM
c6r
On The Tree

I still like the c5 z06 too.. and they are always a challenge to race against on the street...lots of fun, i really wanted the c5zo6 heads (243's ) with the lite weight sodium filled valves or hollow steam i cant remember exactly but it really helps the car red line faster , cause i wasn't gonna use nitrous on my step up so i didn't want the stainless steel valves. but money was tight
Old 08-29-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sodium filled. I think Ti valves are the new "it" for valves. But yeah, a lighter valve train is always a plus.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

OP- I would go with whichever ends up being the better deal between your sister's LS2 C6 or an LS3 C6. As far as modding goes, I do like and favor the LS3 for how well the stock heads flow.

No. The LS2 intake manifold is the worst intake mistake since the Crossfire in 84. Bigger isn't necessarily better. Flow tests have confirmed that the LS2 with the 90mm throttle body flow more than 15HP less than the stock LS6 manifold with the stock 78mm throttle body on an LS2.

If you put an LS6 manifold and throttle body (with adapter for the TB harness) on a bone stock LS2, you'll see nearly 15HP at the wheels.

The LS2 was a rushed product. The results show this well. The 385BHP (rated) LS6 makes slightly more power and a little less torque than the LS2. The cam in the 2001 LS6 is actually more aggressive than the LS2's cam. The LS2 makes more torque due to its displacement.
SCM Crash- GM purposely designed the LS2 intake manifold for how and what it is. It wasn't a mistake and it does exactly what its suppose to do per its design. It was designed to increase torque over the LS6 manifold at lower and mid rpm range, but at the same time it does indeed flow less cfm and makes less HP in the higher rpm range compared to the LS6. The goal for the LS2 intake was to increase torque down low, which it does, and GM probably didn't give a rats *** if it flowed more then the LS6 up top because the motor was at its 400hp rating.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can save money getting the '07 then go for it. 30hp is nothing. You can get that back on just one mod with a retune of course.

And why are people bringing up C5Z into this? He never said he wanted the worst looking body style with chevy's 90's interior.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dark SS
I have been tossing around the idea of selling my Camaro and getting a C6. I love the LS3 engine and would like to get a 08+ C6 but my sister has an 07 that I could buy it from her for a good deal. My question is what 1/4 mile times and I looking at with bolt-on's, cam and bolt-on's or bolt-on's + 150 shot compared to an LS3. Both would be A6 with a converter.
i have an 06 A6 LS2 with just bolt-ons (stock heads and cam) it dynos 397 RWHP and 377 RWTQ, my best time is an 11.09 at 123.7 mph. im not sure what it will run on nitrous but maybe i will next year. the LS2 can hang with the LS3s if you set it up right. if you go to corvetteforum.com you can look at the fast list under the C6 section they have it broken up for LS2 and LS3.

good luck
Old 08-31-2011, 03:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well.... I own a LS2, and I've beat 2 stock g8 gxp's.. if I'm not mistaken they have the ls3 in them.. but I can get spanked by a SS camaro. Ultimately its gonna come down to the weight, and the driver.. the heads on the ls3 are better, aswell as the intake manifold, but like it was stated earlier a few minor mods, and you will be in there like underwear. My current mods are a lingenfelter cai, kooks lt headers 1 3/4 and a muffler delete untuned.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

A lot of great info here. Thanks guys. I have been pretty impressed with the performance of the 5th gen (12.4 @ 112 on Pirelli's) but the cost of upgrading the drive train sucks. I already broke a drive shaft and upgraded axles and it's just a bolt-on car. Dumping the clutch with 3800+ lbs. is a pipe dream. The more I drive the LS2 the more I don't like it. I races a bolt-on LS1 Vette and lost be a few cars. I have been looking into C5 Z's, my buddy has one and they are impressive. I may save even more coin and go that route. Either way it looks like my days in the 5th gen are numbered and I have been a huge supporter since it came out. Some times you have to realize that a Vette in it's own league and upgrade.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

I messed around for too many years and too much $ trying to make a heavy car fast.

The C6 is an excellent platform, and far from numb or weak with regards to LS2 powered cars. I will concede to the points of the LS2 intake being a hunk of garbage, and the 05 differentials being suspect. Plenty of stock lower end FI cars making 600+ with great reliability. I really enjoy it when isolated parties name themselves "experts in the field" with little data to validate other than negative opinions on what they do not have. I have had a C4, C5, and C6, and while all wonderful cars, this is the best one, yet. Road course, around town, or at the dragstrip.

Quick Reply: LS2 potential?