Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowered knocking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered knocking noise?

I just installed a set of BMR lowering springs with the HD bilstein shocks and I double checked everything to make sure it was tight and installed correctly and I took it for a test drive and I seem to be getting a knocking noise that sounds like it is coming from somewhere near the top of the strut. I but it back on jack stands and shook it down and nothing was loose or knocking and I also looked at it on ramps and couldn't find anything loose. The noise only seems happens when I hit a decent bump and the strut extends quickly. I also wondered if the different spring/shocks will sound differently from stock as far as when you hit a bump? any help would be appreciated I need to get to work tomorrow

Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dammmit, I forgot the front bumpstop/boot, could that be causing this noise?
Old 08-23-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the upper nut wasn't tightened all the way down while the spring was compressed it can make noise.

It's been a long time since i installed Bilsteins, so I don't know if the thickness of the boot is enough to prevent the nut from tightening all the way down on the shaft (as in bottoming out on the threads before it is really secure to the upper mount).

Quick Reply: Lowered knocking noise?